Perfect Seasoning

W. Hilditch

Previously on this forum I have been accused of being the guy that never wants to remove ANY seasoning. It was true. Sometimes it is rough but carbon buildup on the sides, inside and outside the vessel, make for better cooking than raw cast iron. I work hard at maintaining and creating the perfect seasoning which has the following qualities:

It is hard and not affected by use of metal tools in normal circumstances.

When I scrape the bottom with a straight edge metal spatula after cooking it is already smooth.

When I preheat the pan oil comes to the surface of the seasoning before I add any oil, butter or animal fat.

After washing with a piece of loofa and rinsing with hot water there is less than a handful of water drops left in the vessel. It is basically dry. That is when I know the seasoning is right.

Hilditch

Dittos. My collection has grown to the point, I doubt I will live long enough to see my old iron skillets blackened and crusty with carbon buildup like my grandmother's #8 BSR I inherited was. She fried a lot of chicken, potatoes, sweet potatoes and country fried steak in it when I was a kid. :eek: Before I stripped it, I was not able to read the letters and numbers on the bottom.

Last edited:
I would think if oil is coming up when preheating the pan you are cooking on old, probably rancid, food residue ? :eek:

Back