A Little $5 Find!

WR Thomas

Went to a nearby antique mall, it's one that I check in on every couple of months. I've found a good piece here and there at this location, but they have been few and far between. I went by last Sunday and ended up buying something I didn't think I would ever buy. It was a painted decorative piece, but I noticed something else. Not a bad looking piece. So, besides the nice little painted scene what else do you see?

Attachments

• IMG_5407.jpg
    IMG_5407.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_5408.jpg
    IMG_5408.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 117
Bravo....That's exactly what it is! I was sure of it and went ahead and spent the $5. Took her out of the lye tank today and cleaned her up, voila!

Attachments

• IMG_5411.jpg
    IMG_5411.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5412.jpg
    IMG_5412.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 69
I opened the photo with irfanview, flipped it 180 degrees, converted it to negative, played with contrast, saturation and gamma, all to see how quickly I could find a clue. Not entirely a waste of time, as it refocused this newbie on the importance of learning of the physical attributes (like handles). Never did make out the number! It was a fun post!:redface:

Well thanks for playing, I think the number was painted over too well. I myself am learning more about handles and other attributes. I was glad when I pulled it out of the lye tank and found out it actually was a Vollrath, my first Vollrath as well....

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Oh and it's a little #3 by the way....

Before I saw the photos of it cleaned up I thought it was an Erie pan. The reason I thought that was because of how straight up and down the side walls are the outside heat ring and the reinforced undercut handle. What differentiated it from the vollrath for you Doug?

The long rib, hollowed handle underside, and "stretched" look of the end of the top of the hanging hole are all Vollrath. There is no Erie skillet this small.

Back