First Timer Here

If you already have the necessary materials for an electro tank, it's an option. But it really depends on how much cast iron you anticipate acquiring and needing to clean. What I see on that pan could be easily taken care of with HD oven cleaner spray in a bag for the crud and a little vinegar for the rust.

See: http://www.castironcollector.com/cleaning.php

Your first picture looks like you can pretty easily clean it up. I don't have an etank (until I found this site, I didn't know about them), but I've cleaned up some pretty abused pans and we use them today. I like the older pans, and we use both - my wife is beginning to love them - she says they are easier to clean than her more modern enamel no stick pans she got last spring!

The electrolysis tank is one option that you have but I think is more trouble than it's worth for 1 pan. You could spray it with Easy-Off oven cleaner and try that method if you have time. Or another option I'm going to say is kind of voodoo on here but I believe if done correctly is a perfectly viable method. Put the pain in your oven and heat it to 400 degrees and let it sit there for 15 minutes then turn on your self cleaning oven and run it through a partial cycle. I keep an eye on my Skillets and when I see the last bit of junk coming off I turn off the self cleaner. Normally takes less than an hour. But some people are very concerned that the high temperature of the oven can cause damage to the pan. Another concern of people is that with pans that are very crusty it can cause a fire.

Back