Silent Auction Purchase

My wife found a silent auction at the Habitat ReStore. The large skillet is a Griswold number 14, a lot of what I found online says it was after Wagner purchased Griswold. Is that correct? We have an Iron Mountain number 3, sbl number 5, Lodge Chef skillet, and what I think is an older Lodge that has a polished surface. Everything was 175. My wife was being very competitive and got into a bit of a bidding war with a local chef who was standing there the last 20 minutes of the auction.

Which company and when made the Griswold #14 depends on the markings. Wagner- made won't say Erie PA. Hopefully, you had the opportunity to examine it for damage before bidding. If undamaged, you probably did OK. If Griswold-made and undamaged, you did extremely well.

Doug, I forgot to post pics. I have them at the bottom of this post. The number 14 marking is Cast Iron Skillet on the top. It's hard to see under the semi light rust. Should clean up nice. Cooking surface is excellent!!

Silent auction purchase https://imgur.com/a/p04RN

If the auction was calling that #14 a Griswold, they were being less than honest. It's more accurately an unmarked Wagner, made from an altered Griswold pattern. It may have possibly been labeled Griswold via a paper label or carton, but would still not be considered truly Griswold. I would have still had to have examined it closely for cracks or warp before considering it.

The auction didn't label anything. They didn't know the simplest of things about cast iron skillets. But my wife was able to inspect it and there is slight rocking but no cracks or pitting. Where I got the information about the possibly Griswold/Wagner was off of three listings on eBay. We will probably keep it and sell our BSR Red Mountain number 14.

If a true, pre-automation Red Mountain #14, it may be more valuable than this one.

Back