• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Chili in Wagner #10 Round Roaster

RickC

Posted this on another site a few weeks ago, and this is pretty much how I do it every time so I thought I'd share. It's a pretty tomato heavy recipe as that's how my Mother used to make it. You can use less tomatoes if you like.

I cooked this same recipe last week, along with a pan of jalapeno corn bread and fed 11 people lunch at work. (It was my turn to cook)

===============

Accompanying Photos:http://imgur.com/a/8jCCt

===============

This was cooked in a No. 10 Wagner Round Roaster which holds 8 quarts. If you have a larger or smaller pot, you'll have to adjust.

Do not cover pot. Let it cook down.

Main Ingredients:

• 2 Lbs Boneless beef chuck (Shredded) (Often sold as taco meat in California)
  • 1 Lb. Ground beef 80/20 (Do not drain after browning)
  • 2 Dried chipotle chilies (Photo No. 3)
  • Diced tomatoes, (2) 28 oz. cans
  • Tomato sauce (2) 28 oz. cans
  • Diced tomatoes from Mom's garden (3). (Optional)
  • Cilantro chopped fine (hand full), and whole leaves (handfull) (for color later)
  • Black Beans, (2) 15 oz, cans or one larger can (Drained & rinsed).
  • Kidney beans, (1) 15 oz. can (Drained & rinsed).
  • Guinness 3/4 - 1 bottle.

Spices: (To taste, sample often)

• Oregano
  • Cumin (Lots)
  • Dill weed. (huh, hu huhhh... He said dill weed!!)
  • Garlic salt
  • Sage
  • Seasoned pepper
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Ancho chili powder
  • Mom's homemade chili powder (Optional)
  • Love (NOT optional!)

Preparation:

Brown all meat with a small hand full of onions and a couple dashes of seasoned pepper.

Add meat, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and beans to large pot.

Add another small hand full of onions, cumin, chili powder, and other seasoning (taste).

Simmer on LOW for 45mins - 1 hr. (stir occasionally) until the sauce has cooked down a bit.

Add remaining onions, Guinness, and chopped cilantro leaves.

Taste. Add seasoning as necessary.

Remove chipotle chilis

Simmer down for a while longer then serve with diced onions, shredded cheese, cornbread or crackers on the side.

Using Guinness is a new one. Does it impart much "Guinness" taste to the chili?

Honestly, hard to say... I always use beer in my chili, and I love Guinness, but sometimes it's a Corona when the weather is hot. Guinness is usually more of a Winter beer for me.

When the chili starts to boil down and it needs some more liquid, that's when the beer goes in the pot, and in me.

:icon_rofl:
Honestly, hard to say... I always use beer in my chili, and I love Guinness, but sometimes it's a Corona when the weather is hot. Guinness is usually more of a Winter beer for me.

When the chili starts to boil down and it needs some more liquid, that's when the beer goes in the pot, and in me.

Back