Excess Oil

I bought these 4 pieces today for $25. They have all been waaaaay over oiled and the oil has hardened on them. Any way to remove it without ruining the otherwise good looking seasoning underneath the varnish like layer?

I have a
Wagner ware Sidney -0- #9
Wagner ware Sidney -0- #6
BSR cornbread skillet
I believe an unmarked late Wagner square skillet
https://imgur.com/a/r8XN0

Nice find Greg. I always put my newly acquired CI in my barbecue grill set on the lowest setting, which is around 480 degrees for about 90 minutes. I like to clean and re-season all my CI because you never know what the piece has been used for.

I would always strip my iron that I bought. You don't know how it was use. Take it to the bare metal and start over.

They only way I wouldn't would be if I inherited some iron from a relative and if was well cared for.

Yeah, I know I should take it all the way done and start over. I’ll probably only keep the #9 and sell the rest. I just wanted it to look better before I put it on the table for sale.

Hey Greg,

I cannot answer the question about removing the oil without damaging the seasoning layer. Even so, if I'm going to use it, it's going to be stripped in the lye tank/oven cleaner and then into the etank to remove any rust. That is, I agree with G. Who knows what has been in the CI before you got it? I even follow a suggestion in another post somewhere on this site and sometimes do a lead test.

If you're going to sell it, who's buying? One of "us" might buy it with the crud so that we can clean it. Otherwise, I think the buyer will be more attracted to "like new". Just my guess because, I'm a user, not a seller.

BTW, cannot see the logos on the 2 Wagner skillets. Would like to see a photo of the cleaned #9. Think you might get a surprise.

Hey Greg,

I cannot answer the question about removing the oil without damaging the seasoning layer. Even so, if I'm going to use it, it's going to be stripped in the lye tank/oven cleaner and then into the etank to remove any rust. That is, I agree with G. Who knows what has been in the CI before you got it? I even follow a suggestion in another post somewhere on this site and sometimes do a lead test.

If you're going to sell it, who's buying? One of "us" might buy it with the crud so that we can clean it. Otherwise, I think the buyer will be more attracted to "like new". Just my guess because, I'm a user, not a seller.

BTW, cannot see the logos on the 2 Wagner skillets. Would like to see a photo of the cleaned #9. Think you might get a surprise.

I started the cleaning process on the corn bread skillet first. Then I’ll do the wagner#9. The #9 Is the reason I bought them 😁
Picture link below

https://imgur.com/a/7t64a

Well, a little update. The e tank took the extra oil off of the corn bread skillet. It is clean as a pin. #9 is next!

Easy off stripped the square skillet and the #6 with ease. Square skillet has fire damage on it. Ill probably still try to use it for breads and such.

The #9 took 2 easy off treatments, lots of rubbing with scotch brite pads, and a 12 hour e tank treatment. It is getting its first seasoning layer right now. Stripping it revealed a slight sand shift on the bottom. The inside is as slick as a commission only used car salesman.

Back