Griswold Safety Kettle?

MikeC

I came across this today for a few bucks and figured it was worth a shot. I got it into the light and saw “Safety” and “8”. I then saw “858”. A bit of research leads me to believe this is unmarked Griswold Safety Kettle. Is this right trivet? It’s missing the lid and I doubt if I go back to the sale it will be there, but I forgot the 17 inch griddle I bought (I doubt it’s still there, ugh) so I might as well look.

Am I correct to assume this is the kettle? It’s in the etank now, so I’ll have a better idea of additional markings tomorrow. What year was this made? Pre large block logo?

https://imgur.com/a/rwpT3Ds

Flat bottom safety cooker. Later versions are seen with coiled assist handle/lid securing clip and slant EPU markings. Also seen marked Skinner Safety with a Griswold instruction sticker on bottom. Bail and assist handle both originally had turned wood handles. Trivet is not original (nor likely even Griswold). Original trivets were stamped metal. Lid was tin with perforations to strain through and a hinged hatch lid to cover them. Shown RB pg. 152.

Thank you, Doug. So this is the earliest version of the Kettle? To be clear, this kettle had wood handles? Or later versions?

Back