What is mint?

Bonnie Scott

I have this slant logo that is, in my opinion a beautiful pan. It's not chipped or scratched or pitted and it sits flat. I would be hesitant to sell it as "mint" because of the wrinkle in the mold. I am sure this is "as cast". Would it still be considered mint?

http://i.imgur.com/R04On90.jpg

I found this one at an antique store covered in crud for $32. I read your post about the #10 and couldn't wrap my head around paying those prices. Like someone else said, I could buy a lot of iron for $200.

My opinion: if someone like you, (who handles a lot of and knows a good deal about cast iron), cannot distinguish the piece from one that is in factory, unused condition then it is MINT. A casting flaw is a manufacturing issue, while mint simply means that there has been no post-production damage or wear, and is like new, or as new.

Mint, as I understand the term, is like new, unused condition. Similar I guess to an uncirculated coin. While your skillet is certainly in excellent condition, I couldn't call it mint.

I'd suggest that "mint" is probably an improper term to use for vintage CI, since 99.999% of what is bought and sold is used. Even NOS pieces found usually exhibit some spots of oxidation. The authors of the BB and RB chose to use the term "excellent condition" to denote the best, which I think is a more appropriate term.

"Near Mint" is also commonly used on eBay, Etsy, and a couple of pan traders online.

I would agree that "Mint" is likely impossible, even if only from some slow atmospheric interaction with the iron over decades in someone's attic. ( Not sure if that even happens.)

And if an item was used even a little bit, it couldn't be "Mint."

I have two pieces that I would consider "Mint" Unfortunately they're both tiny...

A Griswold 562 Duochrome No.0 & Griswold 570A No.00..

I have a few other pieces that it's debatable if they were just rough castings, or they are worn a bit.

You also have to define "Mint" Casting flaws from the factory? Do these still count as "Mint" if all else is as from the factory? Maybe the logo isn't cast as deep as another? Did the grinder miss a little bit of roughness on the edge/handle, still "Mint"?? I think so, as that's the way it came from the factory, others may differ in their opinion and want a perfectly cast piece.

I prefer authenticity over perfection.

Good points. Some pieces with an odd cast mark wouldn't affect performance, and could still be "in the box" new. IMHO that would be mint. Hasn't been used.

Back