Came Across One a Bit Different

I've seen the hammered look and always liked it. Found this for a good price. Anyone recognize the handle or anything? Wondering possible time period, maker, and potential value. Thank you

Attachments

• 0409201552.jpg
    0409201552.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 53
  • 0409201554a.jpg
    0409201554a.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 0409201555.jpg
    0409201555.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 52
Very cool thanks. I like seeing rough castings and the primitive grinding methods used back then. You know you're holding a more handmade piece. What would be an average price say on ebay for the ugly thing? Lol Might keep it, not sure yet.

My favorite for a lot of small jobs. Super thin and smooth. Another SMS I guess. Plus I like using something that I know is old. Just sold a beautiful 9 Griz. I like old

Attachments

• 0409201646.jpg
    0409201646.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 0409201647.jpg
    0409201647.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 0409201647_HDR.jpg
    0409201647_HDR.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 47
There was no grinding involved to create the dimples of "hammered" CI. The patterns were dimpled. Some people collect the "hammered ugly", value in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. The term is common enough that eBay search results are returned.

The #7 is a Lodge.

My favorite for a lot of small jobs. Super thin and smooth. Another SMS I guess. Plus I like using something that I know is old. Just sold a beautiful 9 Griz. I like old

I wouldn't call that #7 a SMS... it has none of the characteristics of the usual SMS. looks like an early lodge to me with the raised size on the handle and raised molder's mark on the bottom.

D_Madden, just looking at past posts. Thanks for the info on the #7. It's still my favorite to use. I've compared with a lot of others and it seems to heat up way faster than anything else. Plus I still like holding and using something old. Big names don't mean much to me personally. Some like them though, like Doug said. Eye of the beholder. Would you or anyone happento know the approx age and location of manufacturer of that one. Thanks much for your feedback, very appreciated.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Doug, curious. Did they actually hammer the dimples in or was that in a cast?

As I noted above, the dimples are in the pattern, not added to the actual pan. Patterns, being aluminum, could be hammered to create the effect, or more likely an initial pattern, made of wood, could have had the dimples carved in, which then transferred to a master pattern made of brass, from which aluminum working patterns were copied.

Back