Lodge "ACORN PAN"

MDFraley

I just want to say thanks to DougD for keeping my interest for all these years as a member of C.I.C. I have continuously learned enormous amounts of knowledge for the last 3+years and I owe it to him/this site/and the members that contribute to CIC.
Just wanted to share this special find this past weekend at one of our local flea markets. The seller had it in a cardboard box on the ground and wasn't even on display with his over-priced Wagner & Griswold pieces. He was showing it to another shopper and stated to him he didn't know anything about it. It went back in the box and the shopper left. There were some other pieces of CI on an end table that caught my interest so I casually made an offer for them and ask if he would include the pan he didn't know anything about. The deal went down and I could hardly wait to get home and share my story with Bonnie of whom I have now gifted it to.
This pan has been on my hit list for years now and to have it in our possession is speechless. I paid his asking price for the two pieces he had displayed and ask if he would include the cornbread pan for an extra $20. Long story but anyone searching for the Lodge Acorn Pan will soon see they sell for $300 and up. I searched eBay and found a listing for $874.
Thanks in advance for any comments. Here's a few B&A pics.
https://imgur.com/a/7SY78Hd

Wow! I had no idea they were that valuable! I guess that’s why I haven’t come across one yet. I like Lodge and purchase anything they make if it seems like a bargain. I enjoy fishing so I picked up a couple of the perch pans the other day at a Goodwill. Thanks for putting this Acorn Pan on my radar!

That is very interesting and something I’ll keep a lookout for. For those of us not familiar with those what is the approximate years of manufacture, & Just how hard are they to find?

Thanks for posting something interesting and different you don’t see every day.

That is very interesting and something I’ll keep a lookout for. For those of us not familiar with those what is the approximate years of manufacture, & Just how hard are they to find?

Thanks for posting something interesting and different you don’t see every day.

StevenC. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to your post. I've been busy remodeling our 100 year old bank building.
These pans were manufactured around 1930 from what my research tells me. They are referred to as the "California Acorn Pan". Story has it that the Lodge wives didn't like the looks of the pan thus production was halted. It was rumored that they looked like microphones but I think differently from other stories. A friend of ours said they were made for Walt Disney to compliment the cartoon character "Peter Pan" lol.
You can google (Lodge Acorn Pan) and then click on "images" and see that the few shown have a variety of stories per say. I couldn't find anything in my reference books but DougD may have some exact time frames that has the actual production periods. They are extremely rare and I feel blessed to have come across this one in the wild. There's a couple listed on eBay but they are priced sky high.
This one is in our "Holy Grail" cast iron collection along with a couple other sought after pieces. Thanks

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

Oops. My mistake. This pan is shown in the Red Book page 235. Circa. 1925-1940. Not sure why I didn't see it my first pass when looking for it.

I'm jealous. I too have been looking for that pan for several years. Found lots of perch, cactus and so on but I've never seen one of those IRL.

Hurry up on that remodel - I want to com see it

Jack

Back