Iron Star in Blue Mound Ill

Has anyone had any experience with this store? I want to check it out. they have a huge inventory of cast iron. I was curious to the level of their prices before I make a 3 hour trip to either empty my bank account or come home empty handed.

I have been there several times and the inventory is huge. The prices are high, but you can probably work a deal. The lady that runs the place is very nice.

Most of the items are pretty common, but it is fun to dig through to find a gem. I live about 3 hours from there also. If I was closer, I would drop by more often.

If you do a search here, I posted pics of the collection last year.

I have been there several times and the inventory is huge. The prices are high, but you can probably work a deal. The lady that runs the place is very nice.

Most of the items are pretty common, but it is fun to dig through to find a gem. I live about 3 hours from there also. If I was closer, I would drop by more often.

If you do a search here, I posted pics of the collection last year.

I have a buddy that lives in morrisonville. That’s about 30 minutes from there. Perfect excuse to stop in for a visit. We have been following Dave Ramsey and now only deal in cash. And I love to negotiate on prices. I have made people so mad I get it for the price I wanted to pay so they could get me to leave.

A quick update. I dropped by the store yesterday. She has even more iron now and accepts checks. The prices are negotiable.

While I was digging, I found a Martin skillet #14. I've never seen one before. Its still there if anyone is interested.

A quick update. I dropped by the store yesterday. She has even more iron now and accepts checks. The prices are negotiable.

While I was digging, I found a Martin skillet #14. I've never seen one before. Its still there if anyone is interested.

How are her prices?

The prices are high, but she will cut deals.

I assumed the prices were marked a little high. You cant build that large of an inventory by having everything marked at bargain prices. Wife and I are going to take the kids and head over that way over spring break. Probably find a hotel in Decatur and some other fun things for the kids to do. They hate antique shopping with me. LOL

Re: Decatur. Be sure to check out the Wabash Depot. May not find any iron, but it's a neat antiques venue. There are two other antique/flea markets in the immediate vicinity, walking distance, that might. One also has an underground flea market, but that part is only open one weekend a month. There is/was also a guy around the corner in the 500 block of Morgan St. that has mostly furniture crammed into a narrow building that had a bunch of CI stacked up. Another antique place ~ 10 mi. north, right off the 51 bypass around Clinton.

Re: Decatur. Be sure to check out the Wabash Depot. May not find any iron, but it's a neat antiques venue. There are two other antique/flea markets in the immediate vicinity, walking distance, that might. One also has an underground flea market, but that part is only open one weekend a month. There is/was also a guy around the corner in the 500 block of Morgan St. that has mostly furniture crammed into a narrow building that had a bunch of CI stacked up. Another antique place ~ 10 mi. north, right off the 51 bypass around Clinton.
Ill have to keep that in mind. Thanks Doug! we are planning on going in a couple weeks.

Well, we went to the iron star today. The reason they have such a large inventory of CI is because the prices are higher than the roof. They had fire damaged BSR skillets for $30 that were badly warped. Rusty large block Griswold #8 for $75. We only bought a couple small things the kids found that they wanted. It was neat to see that much iron in one place though.

Lots of fun to go and look. They are very nice people, and will negotiate. Keep in mind, they know what they have...and that there is demand. There is a wide selection of fairly common pieces. Last time I was there, wasn't much for larger pieces. Lots of 5's and 8's.

Still, I enjoy stopping in every once in awhile. Remember, it is an antique store, so you should expect antique store prices. The difference here being that they actually know what they have.

Lots of fun to go and look. They are very nice people, and will negotiate. Keep in mind, they know what they have...and that there is demand. There is a wide selection of fairly common pieces. Last time I was there, wasn't much for larger pieces. Lots of 5's and 8's.

Still, I enjoy stopping in every once in awhile. Remember, it is an antique store, so you should expect antique store prices. The difference here being that they actually know what they have.

I get that. Their market is probably a little different than mine as far as prices and demand. The owner was out at a sale getting more inventory. I didn’t buy anything. I’m looking for a stupid good deal on a #14 of quality. I couldn’t afford one there.

Back