More Info on 2 Griswold Pans

JCHooper

https://imgur.com/a/6XURKn9

I would like to get more info on 2 Griswold pans I have. The smaller one has an 8 stamped on the handle near the pan. One the back it has rounded edges and at the top it says NO. 8. The in the middle it has the traditional GRISWOLD name in a cross in a circle. Below that is ERIE, PA and below that is says 704. I've seen this same pan on the Internet but instead of 704 it had a number in the 2,000 range. So what does the 704 represent?

The bigger pan has a 12 on the handle in the same location like the smaller pan. Same font. On the bottom it has heat rings and it is hard to make out but there is the number 12 also stamped on the bottom and that is all the markings it has that I can see.

Any idea what they might be worth? Hopefully you can see the pictures.

Thanks - Jim

I assumed they were both Griswolds since I got them from the same neighbor and the font of the stamp on the handle were the same.

That's what I get for assuming and glad I'm turning to the experts.

The standard Griswold font numerals all have flat tops and bottoms like the 8. Usually the best way to spot an otherwise crudded-over Griswold if that's the only mark you can see.

There's abundant information on this web site that goes into a lot of detail regarding circ era, explanation of markings (numbers & letters) how to clean and season, etc. If you're just getting into collecting cast iron I suggest you take the time and read them.
The pan marked #8 is a Griswold small logo and a late (1944-1957) production range. Lots of these pans are on eBay and prices vary considerably. You may want to search there and get an idea about what they sale for. Some sellers "ASK" a lot for them but generally they can be picked up for less than $35-$40.
The pan marked with a 12 is a Vollrath made in Sheboygan, Wisconsin circ. date between 1950's to 1960's. Don't see a lot of #12's of that pan so you have a bit of an unusual size. Wouldn't know an exact $ amount for it but being the size it is maybe above $50-$60. It definitely needs cleaning which would immensely improve the price. If it's warped or cracked and or pitted those features also take away from the value.
Hope this helped you out. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back