3 Notch Lodge #4 with Raised '4' Molders Mark at 6

JoshR

In my short time collecting, I haven't seen any 3 notches with a raised molders mark at 6'oclock, and I only recall letters not numbers in this position. I realize that there isn't necessarily a clean divide between different features from one 'series' to the next. But is this combo of features commonly seen?

BxzE1bI.jpg

Last edited:
When you go to the CIC home page and click on the drop-downs (Cast Iron Collecting) and open "Numbers & Letters" there you will find info regarding your question. I have several pieces that have both numbers and letters in the same place your raised number is. That number typically would indicate the shift that your pan was made on. One would expect the number would be 1-3 representing three 8 hour shifts but that's only a guess. Since your pan has a 4 it might represent a weekend run (Saturday & Sunday) or even a working holiday. Don't have any definitive literature to verify that reasoning so it's purely an assumption. Wouldn't consider it rare by any means.
Here is the link to the numbers & lettering section. http://www.castironcollector.com/numbers.php

Shift numbers were seen on pieces after molder's marks stopped. They appear on raised blobs at 12 o'clock.

Thanks MDFraley and Doug. According the the numbers and letters page, letters were more likely molders marks, and numbers more likely shift identifiers. Doug, are you saying with Lodge specifically that the shift numbers were only those on the raised blobs at 12, and that anything at 6 is a molders mark, even if numerical?

Back