Pineapple Upsidedown Cake

MDFraley

Got bored yesterday evening and had a box of cake mix that was calling my name so decided to put it to use. No secret recipe other than the brown sugar mixture made w/ vanilla extract and a twist of lime.
Just wanted to let you all know that our C.I. pans have a lot of different uses. I used my NATIONAL #9 for this one but I'm thinking a #10 or #11 would be best.
Enjoy...... So far I have.....

Attachments

• P3050366 - Copy.jpg
    P3050366 - Copy.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 52
Looks delicious! Pineapple upside down cake is my favorite. I did this one in a Wagner #10.

IMG_1500_zpsff958bf2.jpg

Yours looks great to me. Only difference I see between the two is that it looks like you put your cherries on after it was done baking. Don't know if there's a supposedly "correct" method on that. All I know is it wouldn't stop me from eating it whether the cherries were put on before or after. :glutton:

Wow great minds think alike! I hadn't read the posts today but decided to make one for my dinner party tonight. Was all excited about posting then I saw that you two had beaten me to it!!

Have to post the pic anyways:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139658521@N07/shares/q83t5b

#10 skillet, cherries in before baking. Did you folks pre-heat your skillets? I did not but things turned out OK.

Wow great minds think alike! I hadn't read the posts today but decided to make one for my dinner party tonight. Was all excited about posting then I saw that you two had beaten me to it!!

Have to post the pic anyways:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139658521@N07/shares/q83t5b

#10 skillet, cherries in before baking. Did you folks pre-heat your skillets? I did not but things turned out OK.

I make my brown sugar base in the skillet on top of the stove so pre-heating is done in that way. No need to dirty up more than one pan.

Here’s the deal. As there are two of us and we don’t eat desert very often we really didn’t need a cake for 8. We already have a 9” chocolate cake in the freezer we haven’t hit on yet. So, out comes my size 0 skillet. Some may remember my post of Sept. 2,’15; “Toy My ***.” I hereby add to its usefulness.

Hilditch

Delightful just hit. Looking great.

I do an apple upside down from time to time.

Chop apples. Some skin but I do not for a reason. Melt a half cup of butter and put a half cup of brown sugar in the skillet. Put apples in and let sit on a med. burner. Do not stir and when brown Pour batter in. Pancake works. Place in oven until done. I use a number five for two deserts. Add nuts with the apples for a better taste and crunch. Dust with sugar and cinnamon. Finish the bake.

A glaze or ice cream set it off.

Beautiful and yummy looking! You guys get to me--now I have to try making an "upside down" cake! Hilditch, I usually use my no. 0 for a butter melter. Thanks for the suggestion to use for individual cakes.

Thanks to you (Mark H.) I will probably gain a few more pounds this weekend.
I took your basic recipe and added a few more ingredients.
After the base and apples I added Reese's Peanut Butter Chips (small but even layer) and a layer of miniature marshmallows and it turned out just fine. Did sprinkle with cinnamon but not sugar. Figured it would be sweet enough with all the other sweet stuff. Did use a #6 skillet since I wasn't sure how it would turn out and didn't want to waste things if it was not good.

http://imgur.com/a/KpHXo

MD Fraley
Michael.
I felt my armchair tightening around my bottom just reading the ingredients. It looks and sounds great

Jack

Thanks to you (Mark H.) I will probably gain a few more pounds this weekend.
I took your basic recipe and added a few more ingredients.
After the base and apples I added Reese's Peanut Butter Chips (small but even layer) and a layer of miniature marshmallows and it turned out just fine. Did sprinkle with cinnamon but not sugar. Figured it would be sweet enough with all the other sweet stuff. Did use a #6 skillet since I wasn't sure how it would turn out and didn't want to waste things if it was not good.

http://imgur.com/a/KpHXo

I think you nailed it.

I've always made my Pineapple Upside Down Cake in my cast iron. Now seeing this reminds me of how I better make one tomorrow. I have a 12" Lodge and I think I'll try it in that one. I've usually used my old old 10" chicken fryer. YUM!! Thank you for the great idea.

I am not really a dessert person but these look like fun to make. Can someone post the process. Since I dont really do dessert, I suck at baking

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Ingredients
3/4 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1 (20 ounce) can sliced pineapple
10 maraschino cherries
1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix ( I use butter pecan or spice cake mix

Melt the butter in the iron skillet. Remove from the heat and sprinkle the brown sugar evenly to cover the butter. Arrange pineapple rings around the bottom of the pan, one layer deep. Place a maraschino cherry into the center of each pineapple ring or wherever you want.

Prepare the cake mix as directed by the manufacturer, substitute some of the pineapple juice for some of the liquid in the directions. Pour the batter over the pineapple layer.

Bake as directed by the cake mix directions. Cool for 10 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a plate. Do not let the cake cool too much or it will be stuck to the pan.

I usually make more of the topping of butter and brown sugar so it's smothered in it when you turn it upside down.

Back