Seasoning mistake?

StueySF

I think i may have made a mistake in seasoning my newly-stripped skillet. I followed the suggestions on this site, using Crisco. When I pulled it from the oven the first time to wipe it, it had small dark spots all over, which pretty much did not wipe off with the Terry cloth. The spots were still there after the process was over. It is not sticky at all, so maybe there was not enough Crisco?

I'm curious if the spots will blend in over time, or if i should re-season, or even strip and re-season.

Looks like too much Crisco on the first coat congealing into droplets which then hardened into the dark spots. You can also see how it's formed streaks down the sides. It's important to just put on a thin overall layer, and then use the terry towel to wipe it down as thoroughly as if you were actually trying to wipe it off. There will be enough remaining though to prevent rust and establish a base seasoning. It's a bit of a pain, considering you're putting it on and then taking it off a blazing hot pan, but it can be done. If you used lye to clean it, a half hour back in the tank should take it off so you can try again. If it's not sticky, and the appearance doesn't bother you, it will blend in after several cooks.

Thanks a lot Doug. I was afraid of that. If the seasoning did the job, then i think I'll go ahead and start cooking. I'm looking forward to comparing the Griswold to my modern Lodge pans.. If the spots persist, I can always strip it later and re-season.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the great information and advice on this site. I think I'm hooked on vintage iron. There is a matching no. 6 skillet in the mail that I can apply myself to!

Back