Indoor Lye Tank?

ChristieA

Hi everyone!
New here. Not new to CI though.
I AM new to collecting & cleaning larger batches.

So I am setting up my 1st Lye tank. Just as winter is setting in. After 15 pages & lots of reading....

Can a Lye tank set up safely be placed indoors? The Lye tub would ideally be stored in a relatively unused second bath, and stored closed in the bathtub.
I say relatively unused, because there is a cat litter pan in there, and currently where we set cardboard until we take it to the recycle. (Can't move the cat box, because it is there because the dogs do NOT have access to the Laundry Room & 2nd Bath)

I have seen a lot of apartment dwellers post about having Lye tanks.

Is there a strong odor with the tanks when you open them? Anything noticeable when they are closed? The container I bought has a locking lid.

I have been using my shed out back & oven cleaner. But, getting cold enough and I am getting enough pieces that oven cleaner is a PIA. *(not expensive though, I find Lye Oven Cleaner at the Dollar Store for a buck a can)

Thanks for any help!
C

Last edited:
Even with the sturdiest, most tight-fitting container, I believe there may still be drawbacks. Removing items in process involves some drippy messiness. The odor while the container is open can be somewhat acrid, even when outside. Will there also be room for a rinse container? Also, even Jackson Galaxy may not know what scent the cats may pick up on and think about it, and if it might cause litter box avoidance in that location.

Warming the lye solution in an unheated environment is an option, but is not without its own challenges.

No please don't do it, I tried it and believe me you don't want that the longer it set in the bathroom the louder the smell got after a couple of days I forgot it because we don't use that bathroom so after a couple of days I kept smelling this odor and that it was getting stronger and stronger throughout the house so I checked that bathroom and it was my Lye Tank we could have died the odor is that bad after it sits.

I have mine in the basement laundry room next to the laundry sink. I've had it there for 2-3 years. The only odor is minor when the lid is open. When the lid is on, absolutely no smell.

I have mine in the basement laundry room next to the laundry sink. I've had it there for 2-3 years. The only odor is minor when the lid is open. When the lid is on, absolutely no smell.
I placed my lye tank inside a bigger plastic tub. I don't smell anything this way. I do smell the lye when I take the top off of the first tub though.

Thanks everyone.
Doug D and GTurner, this shed does not have power. (Point of contention, 4+ car size shop, and another shed with power... full of husband's crap)

I am hoping to upgrade to the shed with power, and an old used oven out there for seasoning.

The cats aren't such an issue, the ground has to be hard frozen before they use the box. Feral cats. They come in to terrorize their 100 & 125 pound puppies.

I appreciate the input.
I have an autoimmune disease & get hyper sensitive sense of smell before I crash, so it could be problematic.

But, the basement option gave me another choice. My mom's basement. All concrete, no one and no animals go down there, I can put in a rinse sink. Might be a good short term solution!

Back