Does anyone know if CHF ever made any copper plated items

CarolM

Woman on Cast Iron Cooking site has a CHF 8.8 Hammered DO. It has a copper colored appearance on the entire thing and also some sing of copper tarnish as well.

My question is Did CHF or any cast iron manufacturer make a copper coated cast iron dutch oven???

Thank you for your response.

Carol

Plated pieces can take on a brownish tone when seasoning starts building up on them. None of the name brand CI makers plated with anything other than nickel or chromium. Are you sure it's not enameled? A photo would help.

copper1.jpg

copper.jpg

copper2.jpg

These are what he has right now.
I think it was painted. But he used a metal polish on it and the patina shows even more.

Looks like bare iron to me. I would guess either color shift caused by the camera flash or ambient lighting, or fire damage. If in fact it really is a copper coloration, perhaps it was cleaned using a copper pot scrubber at some point, and the color transferred.

Not from the camera, I was thinking maybe cleaned with a copper coated wire wheel. Person insists it is copper coating. Could someone have copper coated it after the fact? Can not convince him otherwise. Thank you for your help. I knew I had never ran into any copper coated old cast iron, and definitely not CHF.

I see there is a company out there now that copper coats some cast iron. I would not want it. :)

Thanks again for your help.

My guess would be it has been cleaned using a copper implement in the past. Note also how it appears to be mostly the highlights and not in the dimples.

Copper can be transferred to cast iron. Don't ask how I know. I do not think that it was done at the foundry. :twisted:

Looks like copper, but doesn't look like plating, more like it was rubbed on, more like transferred from something else.

Back