Canadian Breakfast/Brunch

W. Hilditch

As this is called evidence of a cast iron user, it was decided to post another brunch. After some on site time (OST) and homework this is as close as I could get to a true Canadian breakfast in Georgia.

We have home fries w/ onion that are larger than American home fries. Back bacon of which this is peameal bacon. Lightly battered fresh bread broiled in a preheated skillet. A version of French toast that lends itself to just butter or syrup. Fried eggs and 4 grain porridge with brown sugar and milk. Finally a Caesar cocktail. Note: the one in the pic is really red not purple. The camera flash picked up the green from the celery. A hardy Canadian breakfast!

I’d appreciate any opinions from the Canadians here as to how this could be improved.

Hilditch

Hilditch the dish looks great. In terms of what I remember when growing up the home fries and bacon look good. I don't remember battered bread (must be from a different region), and although we ate porridge it was normally a stand alone breakfast and not part of brunch. Perhaps it was just my family but we always coated the rims of our caesars with celery salt. How did you incorporate the clam broth?

The battered bread concept came from something I picked up on from the West coast. Probably not universal. I don’t remember finding it during travels in Ontario or the Eastern provinces. My first time making Caesars sucked, but tasted good. Used store bought Clamato, didn’t shake it and put the celery salt in the mix instead of on the rim. I knew better a couple days before so no excuse.

Thanks for pointing these things out. Anything that I should add other than a Coffee Crisp? I understand they are a major food group in Canada and I do have some.

Hilditch

Mott's Clamato was our vehicle of choice. I asked because it's tough to get down here in the US.

A lot of my friends love coffee crisps but I never really got into them. I'm more of an aero bar guy. There's something about the air to chocolate ratio in those evil things that reacts very well with my palate. I also have a weakness for butter tarts, so much so that it's probably good that I am not able to access them.

Another highly coveted item among fellow transplanted Canadians is ruffles all-dressed chips. You'll definitely get raised eyebrows if you break those out.

Good looking brunch. Try Zing Zang instead of Clamato for your Ceasar. Best Bloody Mary mix I've ever found. Doesn't need a thing added to it, IMO.

Interesting; I had never heard of a Caesar in the context of a cocktail. Googled it and read the wikipedia article. Basically like a Bloody Mary only with clam juice. Turns out I've experimented with Bloody Marys using Clamato in the past, didn't realize I was mimicking the Canadians...

Mike, we got lucky. The Clamato was Mott's. For the record, the sugar brine cured loin was rolled in home ground peameal, not cornmeal to be truly peameal bacon. Real peameal bacon is harder to find down here than Mott’s Clamato so I cure my own. The Canadian & Canadian style bacon (ham) they sell down here and close to the border is a sin. The potatoes were pre-fried the night before.

Hilditch

Back