Fried Pastie Night

W. Hilditch

Diced left over prime rib with onion, garlic, peppers and spices followed by cherry pasties. The pie crust I have listed in the recipe section on page 2 proved to be too flakey for these to be finger food but no knife was required. The #7 BSR gets one more layer of seasoning.

Hilditch

Looks delicious. But, do you mean pastries? I thought pasties were what the ladies wear in a burlesque show? Seems like those would be hard to fry and definitely uncomfortable to wear afterward ... especially if you didn't let them cool off first.

No ‘r’ Spurgeon. The definition can depend on wether your head is into food or fun. It’s homework/Google time. That meat pie shown in the pie crust recipe below is hardly a pastry.

Hilditch

This is an old dish from Cornwall, in England, I believe. Pronounced to rhyme with nasty. Made originally as food for miners; you could carry one in your pocket as lunch. Made originally with lard shortened crust; filling was chopped: beef, potatoes, onion and turnip, if desired. I'd love these, but can't make the crust [fill in expletive here!]. I believe the meat turnovers are similar to Scottish bridies. I'm sure Hilditch's are modern delicious! Happy New Year to all! Maybe this year I can figure out pastry (with an r.)

Sharon, the Cornwall/miner pasties had starches & veggies to keep one going all day. The above filling is 98% meat like a caribbean pastie or a Scandinavian/central Europe meat pie filling. The above dough was made with lard and fried in canola.

Hilditch

Sharon, thank you for the explanation! Very interesting! The only food I have ever known, designed for that purpose, is a Moon Pie, and I love Moon Pies!

Sharon, I missed the bridies part. That is very close but the ones I mentioned but these have a little more of various spices. I know you can make the pie crust listed in the recipe section if you keep a cup of flour between 4.5 and 4.9 oz. so it isn’t too dry. Just go stingy with added flour when working or rolling.

For those not familiar with pasties, this is why they were used by miners. Mid shift the miners hands were at best dirty and at worst poisonous, especially in copper mines. The pastie allowed them to hold the pinched edge of the crust and eat the rest. They would then discard the edge of the crust. More than just pocket food, they were life savers.

Hilditch

HD, those pasties look tasty on the plate, but what did you fry them in? The picture of them in the skillet doesn't look too appetizing.

Fried in fresh canola. What you see is loose flour off the pasties that toasted in the oil and settled to the bottom. More flour and it could have been a roux.

Hilditch

Gotcha! Makes perfect sense now. I was looking at the picture and thinking, "He's frying them in gravy?"

Back