Weekend of Firsts - Finds & Restorations

JScharl

Only been in the game about a half year and explored a few local spots a couple weekends ago that turned up a few firsts for me: Saw my first wild #2 Griswold (wanted $325 and it was cracked), hamburger logo Martin and a Miami skillet (neither are common around here), and picked up my first Griswold & Vollrath pans.

I'm more interested in restoring for use than collecting so I'm generally looking for the "ugly" pans on the cheap. The Griswold was a #7 with bad sulfur pitting but a great cooking surface - doesn't matter to me since it'll be my camping pan. The Vollrath was a bit sticky and rusty, but turned out great and is going to be a birthday gift for my brother.

Finally had time to get around to working on them, here's the before & afters! Gris on the left, Vollrath on the right.

http://imgur.com/a/hWeVO

JS, those will make fine users. Your #7 Griswold looks close to my #8 but I can barely make out it's a LBL and Erie at the bottom of mine. Its been my daily since I restored it a few months back. Soon it will be back in the rotation, your handle is different than mine as mine dosent have the deeper rib for lack of better words.

I would be interested in knowing why the two styles seem to be found in the same timelines. I'm still a bit of a beginner and not really a collector so pitting on the bottom dosent bother me as long a surface is nice.

Thanks for the kind words. Does anyone know if it's possible to tell if the Griswold is a regular or slant LBL? I figure it's impossible with the pitting, not sure if there's handle differences.

Spurgeon - there's pics of the gris & vollrath cleaned up. I didn't include pics of the #6 wagner after cleaning since it wasn't too bad to begin with.

Back