Another Yard Sale Find

Eldon B

Hi There!

I went back to a previous yard sale to see if I had missed anything interesting and I left with one more skillet. It is an old, gate marked skillet, and heavy for it’s size. The only markings are the number 8 on top of the handle and the number 2 on the bottom.

The unique design on the top of the handle may be of some help identifying the maker. Has anyone seen this design before, any ideas who may have made it?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Yard Sale Find.jpg
    Yard Sale Find.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 138
  • Yiard Sale Find-2.jpg
    Yiard Sale Find-2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 151
Most of these old gate marked fancy handle skillets are going to stay in the 'unknown maker' category... there just aren't enough records on the various makers. One name to research is 'G F Filley'. There are some in this style actually marked with G F Filley identifiers... so some with these characteristics are attributed to that maker. kind of the same way people want to put a 'blacklock' label on anything with a raised size on the handle and an outside heat ring and molder's mark on the bottom...

here are my 'fancy handle' finds... the #7 (with two spouts) and the two 8's have some similarities with yours.

https://imgur.com/a/kJ27A

The style of N0. 7 is not like the "Blacklock" southern tradition. The double spout skillet has the "suspect" markings of Tennessee skillet. A strong milling mark from resulting tool work, made an indention in the center of the pan. The gate mark absorbed the reuse and over flow of the casting block. Early Blacklock-Lodge ???

The style of N0. 7 is not like the "Blacklock" southern tradition. The double spout skillet has the "suspect" markings of Tennessee skillet. A strong milling mark from resulting tool work, made an indention in the center of the pan. The gate mark absorbed the reuse and over flow of the casting block. Early Blacklock-Lodge ???

I thought the early Lodge/possible Blacklock pans had an outside heat ring....

Back