Any Tips for Avoiding Asian Imports?

Debbie_B

I'm trying to build a small collection of skillets for use, not selling. I would like to end up with some nice old pieces that have a bit of history, even if I don't know that particular skillet's history. I'm not looking for any particular maker or series. At least at this point, but I can see how this can be addicting!

I would prefer to avoid Asian imports, but as a newbie to searching for CI I still have trouble identifying pieces "in the field." I've searched the site and haven't found any articles describing characteristics of imports. I see them referenced frequently in threads, but I don't have a feel for what to look for other than odd handles. Any hints or tips about identifying Asian imports?
______
Debbie

Even knowing what to look for you may still end up with an import or two. Some Asian manufacturers used other skillets as a basis for their molds. So if the skillet used for the mold was unmarked you could run into a problem like I did.

Personal anecdote,
I was in a antique shop a month ago. Picked up a heavily caked #8 skillet with lid. The seasoning on the lid was 2/8 thick and the skillet was far worse.
It had all the characteristics of a BS&R. Got it home dropped it in my e-tank for a few days, and when I got the gunk scrubbed off. Made in Taiwan was inscribed in the underside of the lid.

Disappointed yeah, but truth be told it's one of the best skillets I have. It was also dirt cheap since you couldn't identify what it was through the crud. Not going to lie though, I was hoping for the BS&R

Tangent (sorry)
Then again this particular shop does that. They had a #10 dutch oven for $25 that I bought right away since I got the light to hit the bottom just right to make out "ERIE" If it can't be identified at a glance they slap a cheap price to it and put it out. If it can be identified on the other hand, well there is a Wagner #6 they want $80 for, just to give an idea.

So if you're really wanting to avoid imports, my advice is to become acquainted with the features of the unmarked cast iron. Once that is taken care of if you can't 100% identify it out in the wild, pass on it.

Last edited:
For newer CI, read the made in on the bottom. A razor scraper can be used if there's crap.
Better/older/USA CI is simply smoother on the cast as well as cooking surfaces.
The fineness/thinness (sorry) of the lid edge for lack of a better term, is usually telling.
Weight--I have a Mexico (looks like a 3 notch Lodge (Hecho en Mexico)) ~7 that weighs a ton, and a Taiwan ~7.5 that's way lighter.

My Asian DO has very defined lines from machining the inner surface.

Generally, lighter, smoother, and finer means not Asian. That said, I have an Asian DO that's pretty nice. It was under a Lodge lid I bought, and flat.

Much of CI ID is a feel thing, not to suggest I'm good at it, but I suspect the vets will agree they can pick up or look at a piece and know.

I doubt there's a lot of Asian CI out there trying to fool us, or at least not in my area...

Toward the end, and today, pretty much all CI is/was crap. Go to the store and look at, lift, feel Lodge. Compare that to an old BSR, or whatever's common to your area. My guess is BSR
is common to mine.

My most used CI is an unknown/unmarked griddle that's smooth, heavy, ugly but nothing sticks to it. Point being, if you want users, use what works. Early BSR is another example, as is early Lodge. No name, but great quality.

Last edited:
Thank you, those comments help a lot. I'm in north Texas and BSR and Lodge seem to be most common. The occasional Griswold or Wagner is generally damaged or priced too high although I did score a reasonably priced Iron Mountain No. 8 skillet and low dome lid on a trip to OK.

I think I'm getting a feel for the BSRs, but Lodge has me stumped. They seem to be so variable. My first purchase was a No. 8 with a single notch in the inset heat ring so that leads me to think that it's a Lodge, but the handle is very elongated and there are no marks other than the raised 8 on the handle top. That thing is smooth as glass! I have another with a 3-notch heat ring and several marks in different places. I need to do some more reading on that one.

Thanks for your help. Even if I never know for sure what I have it's still a lot of fun looking and trying to figure it out.

______
Debbie

The asian stuff that I've encountered has all been just really inferior quality castings... it has been obvious when you see it in person that it isn't well made or could be confused with any other older american product.
On the Lodge, the notches in the heat ring are the key identifiers to the stuff after 1930, prior to that it should have a Lodge name on the bottom (usually)... although Doug has mentioned the existence of asian made copies of Lodge, complete with notches... so... one more thing to watch out for.

Here is a three notch looking lodge made in Taiwan couldn't tell at first. It was heavily gunked up.
YaffsNP.jpg

I had to edit just realized it is made in Korea, oops

Last edited:
Like this one, I have seen a few Asian pans that were fairly good castings. I still rather have my USA pans. But I do regret not picking up one that I saw when I first started this hobby. It was a well made Japan chef skillet that was extremely light and thin. I passed because it had Japan on it. I have never seen another Japan skillet since. I see China and Taiwan all the time.

Back