Maintaining Seasoning on a Skillet Lid

NLevine

Hello everyone!

So I've got 2 Griswold Self Basting Skillet Covers, an #8 and #9. I love them very much. I've seasoned them and they look outstanding. The problem is actually cooking with them. When I cover the the skillet and the heat is on, the temperature rises and very soon steam is produced. I've noticed that the steam is lifting the seasoning off my lid, just as boiled water will lift the seasoning off a cooking surface.

My question is how the heck do I build up seasoning on these lids? If every time I use it, it gets pounded with steam, surely i'll be down to the bare iron again soon. Its a lid and won't ever been used a cooking surface, so oil won't really polymerize to it unless it's in the oven getting seasoned, which happened already, 3 times! I'm really starting to understand why Griswold went to the "Clean easy" lids and started to enamel the underside of them.

So what's a guy to do? How the heck do I build up seasoning on a lid?

Thanks team!

I'm sure someone else may have a different experience but boiling water, steam and even acidic tomato based dishes haven't harmed any of my seasoning. I have skillets, DO and a kettle with lids without any issues. I don't use anything until I've had the opportunity to "season" with five rounds though.

To further Kevin's question, how many coats of initial seasoning? Unless you're seasoning a piece and you want it good and black for display purposes, I can't think of a good reason to go beyond 2 coats, 3 tops.

I suppose the bottom of the pan is similar in that its in direct contact w/ the burner. I use a mystery griddle and 8 BSR skillet and rarely oil the bottoms (did that make you think?) and handles w/ olive oil. I initially season w/ Crisco just because its what I initially read to use. I cook w/ Olive oil because I read it won't try to kill me.

Any of the above may be misguided or wrong. Correct me...

I do 3 rounds of seasoning, did this one with Peanut oil. It's only lifting the seasoning in one spot for now. I'll address the one spot and see if the issues spreads to another areas over time.

If the piece that I'm working on, has a lid, then I season it as I do the bottom. Then the lids usually end up in the cabinet, because I rarely use them, and I surely don't lose any sleep over them! So what, if the lid is a shade different (lighter) from the lower part? Just use it as needed, and eventually, it will get there, but that's just my opinion! :icon_thumbsup:

If the piece that I'm working on, has a lid, then I season it as I do the bottom. Then the lids usually end up in the cabinet, because I rarely use them, and I surely don't lose any sleep over them! So what, if the lid is a shade different (lighter) from the lower part? Just use it as needed, and eventually, it will get there, but that's just my opinion! :icon_thumbsup:

Agreed. After reading some of the comments and thinking about it further, i'm just going to keep cooking and see what happens.

Back