Where to look?

W. Hilditch

Where am I most likely to find that special rare piece of cast iron hollowware? On line, eBay, antique dealers, junk stores, Goodwill, flea markets, yard sales or grandma’s estate sale?

Hilditch

All of the above plus telling friends that you're interested in cast iron. Never know what some of them may have or run across.

My best finds have been at yard sales, but that requires amazing amounts of diligence--you have to be the first guy there. I agree with Kevin, you have to look around--a lot!

Consignment stores. I make it a point to pop in on a few local ones whenever I'm driving past and have a few minutes to spare. They rarely have any CI but once in a while a piece or two show up. I've found several pieces that way.

I find flea markets by far the best place to look for cast iron . At any flea market of any size there is probably at least 25 to 50 pieces of cast iron at least . Some are over priced ,but many can be found for around $10 to $15 or less .

You can drive around to 100 yard sales and spend money on gas , or you can just drive to one flea market and spend money on pans ;-)

Back