Smithey Ironware Company

Love the fact more American companies are coming out with new cast iron but my issue is price. If I am paying 4x the price of a good user from the past I dont see the reason to purchase new. I have a hard time believing these are far superior to an unmarked Wagner which can be had for pennies on the dollar. I am aware the cost of creating new pans so I am not sure what the solution would be to get me to buy new.

Love the fact more American companies are coming out with new cast iron but my issue is price. If I am paying 4x the price of a good user from the past I dont see the reason to purchase new. I have a hard time believing these are far superior to an unmarked Wagner which can be had for pennies on the dollar. I am aware the cost of creating new pans so I am not sure what the solution would be to get me to buy new.

Yea, glad to see a startup to make new cast iron cookware, but $160 is a very pricey for it. But, hey, happy to see someone who is passionate for CI cookware. I might buy one sometime soon just to round out my collection even more. Haven't got around to a Finex either. Smithey/Finex is tapping into a market that competes with older iron that collectors find/keep/use. So, I hope they are successful. Then again, cost of doing business is very costly in USA and add the inflated dollar factor and there you have it.

I have seen one in a friends kitchen here in charleston and it was well done regarding the casting and milling/polishing. Nice piece but at 160 plus shipping I think I will pass for now.

I would imagine the more they produce they will find more efficient and time saving ways to manufacture it for less $. He may have a good amount of time invested doing each piece + overhead. Handwork can be expensive. A good example is a top body/paint man for classic cars. Low end shop rate $60 hour:frown:

For a $160 I'd like to see it with a fancy Handle type I've seen post here. He could market it as bring beauty, function, and elegance to your kitchen for generations to come. And market the style he has now as a go to rough and rugged camping backpacking and hiking skillet. Or for the guy who doesn't care what it looks like as long as it works :grin:

Back