Idea ?

I was not making you out to be a bad person nor can I figure out how you came to that conclusion. I even stated I was not attacking your style. You said you will raise the price of an item and drop it on people. I simply stated we had different styles.

Remember that is takes at least 3 people for an auction to work.
1) The auctioneer
2) the bidders

Note both bidders have their own arm to raise. So it takes 2 (two) bidders to raise the bid.

I do my part to raise the bid over the next bidder in hopes that they drop out, that is what an auction is all about. The bid may go up $5, 10, 15, 20 what ever. If the bid goes over where I want spend, I dump it, I bailed, Slang or what ever you want to call it. That is right, I am not PC If you have been to as many country auctions as I have you will hear a lot of slang that you just might not hear in the city. :eek:

Remember that is takes at least 3 people for an auction to work.
1) The auctioneer
2) the bidders

Note both bidders have their own arm to raise. So it takes 2 (two) bidders to raise the bid.

I do my part to raise the bid over the next bidder in hopes that they drop out, that is what an auction is all about. The bid may go up $5, 10, 15, 20 what ever. If the bid goes over where I want spend, I dump it, I bailed, Slang or what ever you want to call it. That is right, I am not PC If you have been to as many country auctions as I have you will hear a lot of slang that you just might not hear in the city. :eek:

Im sure youve been to a ton of auctions. You said "I will bring it up so high and dump it on you or you" That does not give the impression that you simple back out after it gets to a point that you do not want to pay that price for that item. I am well aware people will raise the price on a item just to get someone to pay more, not because they actually want to pay that price for that item. Again, you are not being attacked and I am only trying to clear up what I meant. I am aware of how auctions work and I am aware of the different styles, yours included. Its not one I adopt. If I want an item and I will pay $30 for it, and someone bids $31, but I know they really want it and will go higher.....I do not bid them past the $30 I believe it is worth to me. To each his own.

I am surprised that only one person has gotten in your face for such a move in all those auctions you have been to.

Im sure youve been to a ton of auctions. You said "I will bring it up so high and dump it on you or you" That does not give the impression that you simple back out after it gets to a point that you do not want to pay that price for that item. I am well aware people will raise the price on a item just to get someone to pay more, not because they actually want to pay that price for that item. Again, you are not being attacked and I am only trying to clear up what I meant. I am aware of how auctions work and I am aware of the different styles, yours included. Its not one I adopt. If I want an item and I will pay $30 for it, and someone bids $31, but I know they really want it and will go higher.....I do not bid them past the $30 I believe it is worth to me. To each his own.

"I will bring it up so high and dump it on you or you" Where does it say that I will push it up without the intent of buying. That is my only intent when I attend any auction, and so yes I dump it on who ever just raised the bid. No harm no fowl, just life at an auction.

As for my style, come see me at work as I play to win. I do not waste my time with bidding games. I always come home with a LOT of antiques, not just iron.

I have never had any issue at any auction for the way I bid.

Everything has a value, so that is where, "I will bring it up so high" comes to play. I have the value in my head what I want to spend.

I have driven over 175 miles one way, spend a night to go to an auction. You really think I would waste my money and time, wrong.

As for my style, I go to spend money, and come back and make money. Something that you might want to adopt.

To each his own.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

I am surprised that only one person has gotten in your face for such a move in all those auctions you have been to.

What one person?

I have never had any issue at any auction for the way I bid, I bid to win.
I do not bid any different from most bidders that go to come home with new pieces. If that is to much for you stay home.

I take it that you do not go to many auctions.

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

You want to talk about my style, try keeping up with me.

http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=625&highlight=auction

:icon_rofl:

"I will bring it up so high and dump it on you or you" Where does it say that I will push it up without the intent of buying. That is my only intent when I attend any auction, and so yes I dump it on who ever just raised the bid. No harm no fowl, just life at an auction.

As for my style, come see me at work as I play to win. I do not waste my time with bidding games. I always come home with a LOT of antiques, not just iron.

I have never had any issue at any auction for the way I bid.

Everything has a value, so that is where, "I will bring it up so high" comes to play. I have the value in my head what I want to spend.

I have driven over 175 miles one way, spend a night to go to an auction. You really think I would waste my money and time, wrong.

As for my style, I go to spend money, and come back and make money. Something that you might want to adopt.

To each his own.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

What one person?

I do not bid any different from most bidders that go to come home with new pieces. If that is to much for you stay home.

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=625&highlight=auction

:icon_rofl:

Man o man are you defensive. Like Ive said a couple times, no attack was made. No disrespect was meant. Simply stated we had different styles. For some reason either you or your ego could not accept that someone else does something different that you. I dont need to "keep up" with you. You can be more successful at buying/selling and I will only be happy for your success. More power to you sir. I have nothing more to say on that issue. I apologize if you took offense to any of my comments as that was not my intent. Im here for fun.

I think we are all in agreement that we are not willing to conspire with DSBradley so that he gets a good deal. If that makes me unladylike, so be it.

What one person?

http://www.castironcollector.com/for...hlight=auction

Re read your first post.

I work in an industry that is in fact set up on auction principles. Do what you mentioned and you no longer work in this industry.

I think we are all in agreement that we are not willing to conspire with DSBradley so that he gets a good deal. If that makes me unladylike, so be it.

OK everyone, I'm very sorry for even bringing this up. I had an idea that maybe in the spirit of goodwill, we could work together. I had no intentions of causing this kind of reaction. I pray Doug could eliminate this thread altogether. Bonnie, I wasn't out to get a good deal. If you wanted something, I'd back off to allow you to get it. There is plenty of cast iron around for everyone. Please forgive me in my ignorance.

I think few people attend auctions, so most are not familiar with auction speak, if that's indeed what's causing the confusion here. If they think they know anything about auctions, it is probably from watching TV shows, like Storage Wars which features a resident villain named Dave Hester. Dave is apparently very successful at something that gives him the wherewithal to bid very aggressively on abandoned storage unit auctions, and often to the point of overpaying just to win. Or he bids the price up with the intention of dropping out before the last bid, just to spite the other regular cast member bidders, who are portrayed as being more needful of acquiring the contents at a price that enables them to turn a profit. "Confessional" segments confirm that Dave delights in being the spoiler, and is unapologetic about repeatedly undermining the others. So, when people read something like, "I will bring it up so high and dump it on you or you will learn real fast that I will get what I want.", and take issue with it, I suppose it might be because it puts them in mind of a guy like Dave Hester.

I think few people attend auctions, so most are not familiar with auction speak, if that's indeed what's causing the confusion here. If they think they know anything about auctions, it is probably from watching TV shows, like Storage Wars..........

Since this thread seems to have already gone off the rails....

Attachments

• hester.jpg
    hester.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 23
Back