Do Not Do

MDFraley

For those of you who may be new to CIC the below attached video will for sure let you know what to not do with your cast iron. As you can see the molds use for his project are all "cooking" cast iron pieces. When we speak of lead in our pans this is most likely how it gets there, and when you see pans that are "off color" reddish looking, be cautious that it probably was someone's piece of cast iron that was used (not for cooking).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAe7SqHbKtM

Thanks for posting this Michael, I had no idea people used gem pans to form lead ingots. I will be more careful when buying gem pans from now on.

We always have to remember that used cast iron skillets may have been used for other purposes than what we might use them for.

Thanks for the info. I've been watching the shelves at local donation stores for pieces to use in my kitchen. Will get some test strips before I go hunting again.

I guess you'd have to do a before-and-after lead test to be sure it worked. At any rate, I wouldn't put the positive-test pan in my lye tub...wouldn't want any dissolved lead in there with my other pans. I would go the HD Easy Off and black bag route. (I admit I'm extra cautious about contaminants.)

Back