Pizza in Cast Iron!!!

Pizza really wants a lot of heat fast, so the CI would be great given the mass.

Different crust than in a traditional hotter pizza oven. Both delish.

Is there a temperature ceiling above which we don't want to make CI? Offhand, I'm not coming up with any dish over 425F, but thought I'd ask.

I'm wondering if a skillet - the ones where the sides gone down rather than up, would be good to use for a thin crust pizza. I'll have to try it. I'd imagine skillets would be good for deep dish.

Here's a deep dish my wife made the other day.
cast%20iron%20032.jpg

We make pizza in cast quite often, it's the best.

Been using the "turbo bread" dough recipe on youtube for the crust. I bottle my own pizza sauce, all fresh ingredients.

Press the dough into a lightly floured pan to size it, preheat skillet or whatever you're cooking on to 500 F. In goes the dough, finish pressing it, dress it and back in the oven.

TedW, anything above 500° is asking to have your seasoning dried out or burned off, not to mention the smoke.

When I make Italian bread (our daily bread) I use a loaf worth of dough to make bakery pizza in a rectangular cookie sheet at 450°. This has a 3/4" thick crust, is cut in squares and is normally sold and eaten at room temperature. At this point the house smells like an Italian bakery.

The pizza has a slightly crunchy crust and is an "8". Now, if I take a couple of pieces and put them in a pre-warmed CI skillet on simmer with a piece of foil over them for a few minutes, until the the cheese gets soft again, there is more crunch. Now the hot pizza is a "9".

Round thinner crust pizza's go onto a stone, not CI.

Hilditch

TedW, anything above 500° is asking to have your seasoning dried out or burned off, not to mention the smoke.

When I make Italian bread (our daily bread) I use a loaf worth of dough to make bakery pizza in a rectangular cookie sheet at 450°. This has a 3/4" thick crust, is cut in squares and is normally sold and eaten at room temperature. At this point the house smells like an Italian bakery.

The pizza has a slightly crunchy crust and is an "8". Now, if I take a couple of pieces and put them in a pre-warmed CI skillet on simmer with a piece of foil over them for a few minutes, until the the cheese gets soft again, there is more crunch. Now the hot pizza is a "9".

Round thinner crust pizza's go onto a stone, not CI.

Hilditch

This is also called "Sicilian Pizza", as opposed to the more familiar round "Neapolitan Pizza".

Did this on my in-laws' grill a couple weeks ago after restoring MIL's unmarked Wagner #9 griddle and her Taiwanese "10 INCH SKLLET".

/Brought my #10 as well because I was HUNGRY

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 28
My son made pizza in camp Dutch ovens during a Scout campout a few years back. He made the dough the day before the campout and kept it cool. In camp he sliced up meats and veggies. He used three 12" DO over coals. They turned out great! He had to make a few, since they were small, but they were good.

Back