Gem pan questions

JeffreyL

I ran across these today while hunting. I tried researching them, I think they wanted a bit much for them but not sure.

Pan with 12 rectangles is an R and E, it had what looked like a 9 on the backside, they wanted $40

The one next to it with the 11 ovals said Detroit on the back of one handle, it also had a gate mark , $35

And the pan with the 11 deep round cups had a 6 on it and they wanted $29

I don't know much about these but the Detroit peaked my interest as I am in south east michigan
https://imgur.com/a/4au1D

Those are all not-unreasonable retail prices on those, but you should try to do better if you can, if you want one or all. Watch for cracks on cups or the connections between them.

Can you identify the maker of the deep cupped pan from the pic and description or no? I don't have much interest in a gem pan other than to have one, so I would probably get the gate marked Detroit because I'm close to Detroit and it's gate marked, making it to me, more interesting. Any reason to pick one over another?

I wouldn't treat bottom gate marks as something to seek to pay a premium for. They are just artifacts of the technology of a time period. I other words, I wouldn't choose a gatemarked pan over one that isn't simply because of the mark. I would choose it b/c it has markings or is by a maker I liked. The muffin pan design was widely copied. You could probably get an actual Erie or Wagner one for that money. The muffin pan is also more commonly marked as a #10. Are you sure of the marking?

No I'm not sure of the marking now, I may have just put in my notes what they had on the tag

So really none of the 3 have any desire-ability?

Thanks for the article reference Doug, you hit the nail on the head with it as I'm at the early stages and don't know what or where I want to go with this. All I know is that I've been bitten by the bug, and I enjoy hunting them and cleaning them, and cooking in them.

I really like the handle on that pan in the top photo. do you remember the name of the place it was at? I just stopped at a few mi and ohio a few weeks ago. must have missed that one.

I really like the handle on that pan in the top photo. do you remember the name of the place it was at? I just stopped at a few mi and ohio a few weeks ago. must have missed that one.

I thought the same thing about that nice handle. :biggrin:

I can get you more info on the pan if you'd like, I think I remember picking it up and it's either warped really bad or cracked I can't remember

According to Steve Stephens research that particular fancy handled skillet was cast with a downward bow in it.

I didn't even know that was a thing, where can I find info on skillets made that way?

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

Where did you stop in Michigan and where are you located?

I didn't even know that was a thing, where can I find info on skillets made that way?

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

Where did you stop in Michigan and where are you located?

In mi I went as far north as Livonia. there was an antique show in Maumee Ohio but it was mostly high quality stuff with huge prices. I prefer the rusty gold. there was a big store there also that a lot of nice stuff, I think it was called Maumee antique mall.

In mi I went as far north as Livonia. there was an antique show in Maumee Ohio but it was mostly high quality stuff with huge prices. I prefer the rusty gold. there was a big store there also that a lot of nice stuff, I think it was called Maumee antique mall.

I'm not far from Maumee, 20 minutes north. If you traveled US23, I'm about 10 miles west of 23 and 5 miles north of MI-OH border. The only antique stores I've hit so far were in Dundee, MI and my hometown Blissfield. Where are you located?

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

I compared what I could see of the handle from my gem pan pic, and it looks exactly like the handle second from left in the first pic of the blog you posted

KevM- I was in town today so I stopped and took a couple pics for ya, gate marked, warped downward, which may be the way it was made, not sure, single pour spout and cracked at spout $15
https://imgur.com/a/P7jeg

Doug, you asked if I was sure of the markings on the bottom of the muffin pan, I went back and took a pic, it doesn't appear to have markings, the #6 I referred to apparently is from the sellers tag. I also took a pic of the back of the Detroit, and what looks like a crack in the handle of the Detroit
https://imgur.com/a/IxXk4

I'm not far from Maumee, 20 minutes north. If you traveled US23, I'm about 10 miles west of 23 and 5 miles north of MI-OH border. The only antique stores I've hit so far were in Dundee, MI and my hometown Blissfield. Where are you located?

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

don't mid to much about the crack ill just end up hanging it up. right now I'm in taylor by the Detroit airport. I don't think Dundee is to far from here maybe next weekend ill take a trip down there. is Dundee or Blissfield where you seen it at. is there a few antique stores over there?

Jeffery, thanks for the info. I am in S.E. MI also. I hope to get to Blissfield in the next month or so thanks to your post. I am a bit father up US23 than you are.

Back