Fruit Press question

Bonnie Scott

Yesterday when I was out hunting iron I came across a No. 3 Griswold fruit and lard press. It was just like the one on the bottom of the BB page 152 only it was a 3 quart. They were asking $175 for it, I had the BB with me but couldn't decide whether it was a good deal or not because this size wasn't listed. I have been wanting one for use as a cheese press. I think they would have only come down 10% on the price. Is it worth that much? It was complete and only needed a good cleaning.

I picked this 12 Martin CO up at the same store. I'm building a CO tower. :chuckle:
http://imgur.com/a/3n0VG

I'm really no help on your question of value, Bonnie, so would have to defer to ebay sold prices. I would say from a utility standpoint the Enterprise presses are more versatile and user friendly IMO.

I've got a couple of the original spouts for my Enterprise presses, but I don't use them. I use the plastic ones (3 different sizes/diameters) that I got on ebay.

I would agree with Kevin.

I have an Enterprise...and the nice thing is that they STILL make parts for it, albeit the company is now called "Chop Rite".

I have a #35 which is a little bigger than the one you are looking at. I often find the smaller #25 at shops that need a little TLC, but they are great working pieces.

Bonnie, are you sure that DO is a Martin? I thought their handles looked kinda like little crowns, with smooth points on each side. (Similar to the ones on this DO, but smoother.)

Bonnie, are you sure that DO is a Martin? I thought their handles looked kinda like little crowns, with smooth points on each side. (Similar to the ones on this DO, but smoother.)

Yes I am quite sure, you can find them in the RB on page 212. The seller also had a Country skillet with a crack in it and a hamburger logo DO that was painted orange. I thought about the DO for a little while but imagined having hurt feelings if there was a crack under that paint, so I passed.

Kevin, the broken spout was the cast iron part that was attached to the body of the piece.
It's nice to know that you can buy new parts for the enterprise. I couldn't tell from the pics if the sleeve was SS but that would sure be nice. The sleeve on the Griswold may have been aluminum. I'm not really sure but it didn't look like something I would put in the lye tank.

Thanks Bonnie. I see them now. I didn't notice the difference when I was reading through the book before.

I saw a Martin No. 7 lid yesterday but it was an antique mall and the seller had it on a DO that wasn't a Martin. The lid didn't even fit, but they were selling the two pieces as one. I asked the people at the front desk if I could just buy the lid. They called the seller, but were unable to reach them. I had stopped in this place on the home from Birmingham and didn't have time to wait for a call back.

Back