Single-notch Lodge

GaryV

I see some with a raised size-number on the handle and some with the number impressed on the bottom - what's the difference otherwise? Aesthetically, I prefer the number on the bottom.

Thanks,

gary

The raised number ones are older. I don't note much in the way of quality difference; the later ones seem to be a bit more consistent in terms of casting flaws or the lack thereof.

Speaking of Lodge, next week will find me in the state of Tennessee... home of Lodge cast iron. Aside from perhaps visiting and taking their foundry tour, can anyone point me to anything else, CI related, that I should look for? I will be in the area of Gainesboro.

The worlds longest yard sale, from MI to AL on Rt.127 was in August, but that is your most direct route to Lodge and I suspect you may find some stores/vendors along the way on a nice day.

Beware. Those good ole boys in coveralls know their stuff including who you are and how much money is in your wallet before you speak. If he sends you to see Charlie, Charlie will know you are coming before you get there 'cause there is a 25% commission involved. They know the game. Fun!

BTW, most of these guys in coveralls have a net worth of a mil or more.

Hilditch

The worlds longest yard sale, from MI to AL on Rt.127 was in August, but that is your most direct route to Lodge and I suspect you may find some stores/vendors along the way on a nice day.

Beware. Those good ole boys in coveralls know their stuff including who you are and how much money is in your wallet before you speak. If he sends you to see Charlie, Charlie will know you are coming before you get there 'cause there is a 25% commission involved. They know the game. Fun!

BTW, most of these guys in coveralls have a net worth of a mil or more.

Hilditch

I'll be heading to Tennessee to visit friends next week and will be looking around for those guys. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to see if I can find a pair of coveralls at Goodwill before leaving.

I suspect I won't find much down there except for Lodge.

I bet you Dan that you'll find all kinds of CI down there. BSR is out of Alabama and I've seen a lot of Wagner on eBay from down south. Good hunting!

I bet you Dan that you'll find all kinds of CI down there. BSR is out of Alabama and I've seen a lot of Wagner on eBay from down south. Good hunting!
Is any BS&R really collectable, though? What is the best way to identify old ones? They never used an actual logo, did they?

Is any BS&R really collectable, though? What is the best way to identify old ones? They never used an actual logo, did they?

BSR uses a font that is pretty easy to identify if you familiarize yourself with it. As for collectible, it'll vary...but they're great users.

I just picked up a single notch Lodge without a number on top OR bottom. Thought it was pretty strange and wondered when it might have been made. It's definitely identical to other Lodge pieces of that era, and has the raised small letter mark "E" on the bottom at 6 o'clock. No other markings on it, to indicate it's a No. 7.
I'm partial to the raised numbers on the handle, and have an arc-logo No.8 and No.9 in my arsenal. Though I do appreciate the exquisite font used for the number on the bottom of my No. 5 arc-logo.

BSR uses a font that is pretty easy to identify if you familiarize yourself with it. As for collectible, it'll vary...but they're great users.

What Doug said. I would also add that their pre-1960 skillets are similar in quality, weight, and surface texture to a 3-notch Lodge.

Here in NW South Carolina, 3 notch and BSR are everywhere. They are both great user pans. Since they are unmarked, most people pass them over, and you can buy at a very good price. The early BSR Red Mountain had what looks like hand scribed size numbers. Size 6 and 9 are hard to find and can fetch a nice price. Also look for the 3S, 5S, and 7S. Those 3 are the same size as everyone elses 3, 5 and 7. The regular BSR RM run larger than most other manufactures with the same number size.

Here in NW South Carolina, 3 notch and BSR are everywhere. They are both great user pans. Since they are unmarked, most people pass them over, and you can buy at a very good price. The early BSR Red Mountain had what looks like hand scribed size numbers. Size 6 and 9 are hard to find and can fetch a nice price. Also look for the 3S, 5S, and 7S. Those 3 are the same size as everyone elses 3, 5 and 7. The regular BSR RM run larger than most other manufactures with the same number size.

I have a BSR Red Mountain 8S. Does this fit into your "rare" category? Just curious as it's the only one I have and I'm not collecting that maker per sec.

DSBradley,
If you have an 8S it is not just rare, it may be a first. Check out this site for a little info on the "S" pans.

http://www.modemac.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/Birmingham_Stove_and_Range

Pictures please.

Jack

The pictures at the other site show the number and the "S" far apart as mine are next to each other. Here are two pictures of mine to show you. The line you see is a crack that I've done nothing with.
On further review, I believe my "S" is a mold marker and not an S series mark (Also note no serif on the S). Also, I have no "x"s toward the 12 o'clock position.

Last edited:
I would say the 8S is just a #8 made from a pattern lettered S, and is probably no different than similar vintage BSR #8 skillets with other pattern letters.

Here is a side by side of a RM, 3 and 3S.
33s.jpg

Here is a stack, 3 on the bottom, WW 3 in the middle and 3S on top.
3ww3s.jpg

I just picked up a single notch Lodge without a number on top OR bottom. Thought it was pretty strange and wondered when it might have been made. It's definitely identical to other Lodge pieces of that era, and has the raised small letter mark "E" on the bottom at 6 o'clock. No other markings on it, to indicate it's a No. 7.
I'm partial to the raised numbers on the handle, and have an arc-logo No.8 and No.9 in my arsenal. Though I do appreciate the exquisite font used for the number on the bottom of my No. 5 arc-logo.

Benjamin, I found the same skillet as yours at a thrift store today for 10$. Mine doesn't have a 7 on the top or bottom either and the E looks backwards.
http://i.imgur.com/PNJDhWB.jpg

Back