Belgian waffle iron help please

TracyB

Hi!

I'm looking to buy a stovetop Belgian (or "French") waffle iron. I am completely overwhelmed and cannot figure out which models I should be looking for. Also, I'm guessing eBay is the place to look?

Can anyone tell me which models would be closest to what we know as a Belgian waffle iron?

Thank you!!

Tracy

Of the 20th century name brand makers, Griswold produced waffle irons with what they called "French pattern" paddles. Wagner also made irons with deeper pans which made smaller, thicker waffles. Unfortunately, both appear to have only offered them in commercial, multi-iron formats. By the 1926 Griswold catalog's bulletin W-12 waffle iron section, there is not really even mention of the French pattern, only that certain commercial units may be special ordered with alternate paddle designs.

So, your quest for a stove top "Belgian" waffle iron may be difficult in that the commercial units are older, harder to find and far more expensive when you do find them. You may be able to find the odd iron that makes a single cake with deep pans and a pattern that is close in style to Belgian, but that also may not be easy.

Thank you for the info, Doug! I really appreciate you taking the time to give me such a thorough answer.

I guess I'll just start the long hunt and hope I stumble onto it one day. :smile:

What most don't tend to realize is that Belgian waffles were really a mid-20th century phenomenon. Electric waffle irons were already well in use by that time, having been available on the market over two decades.

Back