What Is Blacklock?

Joseph Lodge was involved in the Blacklock Foundry before it burned down. What was rebuilt became Lodge Mfg. Co. Since there are no known skillets marked Blacklock, there is much speculation as to whether certain unmarked skillets possessing characteristics similar to early known Lodge skillets are Blacklock.

If we go by what the authors of the RB show, a Blacklock skillet would have an outside heat ring, be side gated, have a raised size number on top of the handle, and a raised molder's mark on the bottom at 6 o'clock. The last three characteristics are consistent with early Lodge skillets. If Blacklock had made a move to inset heat rings before it burned is uncertain. Those who are currently trying to identify Blacklock skillets and establish a timeline also cite the shape of the rib on the underside of the handle as having significance.

Some examples also have the gate mark. The spider skillets have the same thin gate mark on the skillet and lid. The lid is fully marked. Blacklock. Sometimes Blacklock South Pitt. Tennessee. Most are unmarked. The sad irons have the Blacklock name across the handle. Several "suspected" styles of the skillets exist. If I was smart enough to take pictures and post I would show examples. I will ask my son for help and show the collection I have.

Some examples also have the gate mark. The spider skillets have the same thin gate mark on the skillet and lid. The lid is fully marked. Blacklock. Sometimes Blacklock South Pitt. Tennessee. Most are unmarked. The sad irons have the Blacklock name across the handle. Several "suspected" styles of the skillets exist. If I was smart enough to take pictures and post I would show examples. I will ask my son for help and show the collection I have.

Back