Road Trip (West Tex)

MDFraley

Went on a road trip recently and found several pieces that do and may have value. Most are in the lye tank now but here are a couple pics of them fresh from the wild. The three orange looking skillets were found in Van Horn Texas. The Wagner Fat Free skillet and the BSR 3 S were found in Giddings Texas. The Danish Cake Pan (Griswold 962) and the camp fire skillet came from out of state. My total cost was under $100 not counting the gas/hotel/wear and tear on my truck etc. but it was a fun trip.
http://imgur.com/a/njqXp

Michael, it's nice to hear you are feeling good enough to make a CI hunting trip. That spider sure does have some long legs on it. Those crusty mystery skillets are always fun. I always imagine they are priceless advertising skillets until I pull them out and find an unmarked Wagner, it's my version of playing the lottery. The #6 looks like Wagner but I'm curious about the #5.

Thanks....I did have a fun trip despite the weather. Bonnie...That old spider skillet was gate marked and is pitted inside and out but has been seasoned and for $5 it sure looks good setting on my fireplace. It has a 9 " handle and 2 1/2" legs. The three skillets were a crap shoot but the small one looked to be a Favorite Piqua Ware #3 that has what I call a rolling type heat ring. Guess time will tell after soaking in the lye.
Forgot to mention and show a Griswold Trivet # 1728 page 179 in the BB. It was from an estate sale priced at $2.80. Book value has it @ $30 so feel good about that price even though I'm not a big trivet collector. Brooms were painted white and some blue around the handle which I'm sure isn't original but some TLC and it will look new again.
I encourage everyone to take these type trips just to see what's out there. You never know what you may find and fall in love with a vintage piece that you don't have.

Interesting - 290 is my highway of choice for trips to Houston and it passes right through downtown Giddings. Creepingly slow speed limits and a lot of stoplights, I normally can't get through it fast enough; if I make a stop along the way it's usually in Elgin for some BBQ. But it sounds like next time I should take a look around...

That spider skillet looks like a truly old piece and the BSR 3 S sure isn't something you see every day either, very nice...

Michael, I've never seen a BSR s-series in any size--didn't even know they existed until recently. What a nice find!

There are several post regarding the BSR "S" series here on CIC. This is the second one I have found in the wild and it will be gifted to a close and dear friend of mine in Arizona. It will display nicely in their collection and give them a quest to add the 5 & 7 pans. We exchange information frequently off site of CIC. I sometimes feel that people want to use this site as a social media instead of what it is meant for.
Thanks for the comment.

Back