Un-Marked Erie or?

Jeffrey R.

Is it known if Erie ever cast griddles, or any other pieces for that matter being Un-marked?

First two photos of an Erie #8 griddle.

%252523738%25252Cerie%25252Cgriddle_8389.jpg

%252523738%25252Cerie%25252Cgriddle_8390.jpg

Now look at the handle, top and bottom.
Look at photo 1 & 3, lower right corner of the shape of the handle, the same.
The rim top, not 100%, could be the lighting, and bottom of the griddle the same to me.

Un-marked Griddle #9.

To me they look like the same griddle. It is a very nice clean piece, I want it to say Erie. But is it?

R%25252Cno%25252C9%25252Cgriddle_1788.jpeg

no%25252C9%25252Cgriddle_1789.jpeg

CIC%25252Cno%25252C9%25252Cgriddle_1786.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking griddle, but to me there appears to be a quite noticeable difference in the bottom of the #8 Erie and the bottom of the #9 unknown. On the bottom of the #8, it appears that just in from the edge there is a definite groove all the way around that I don't see on the #9. Sure look similar in most other aspects except for the placement of the size number.

I see what you are saying, but I do think it is the lighting. If you look at photo,
1 & 3 and run your eyes around the #1 photo looks like a little shadow and lighting issue #1 ? Hard to tell as the Erie is gone, you could be right. I will look to see if I have any other photos of the Erie.

Take a look at photo #3 top center right side. Looks look extra sand in the mold.

Just thinking.

Something else I just noticed differently on the #9. Again, on the bottom photo (1st pic of #9), there is a reinforcement/thicker edge on both sides that is not seen on the bottom of the #8 Erie. Also in that same pic, it looks like something has been "buttered" over where the logo would be. Do you have the Blue Book? (Mine is the 3rd edition.) If so, look at page 242, top left photo of the Wagner #10. Notice on the underside of the handle, it has the number 9 or number 6 depending on which way you look at it.

it looks like something has been "buttered" over where the logo would be. Do you have the Blue Book? (Mine is the 3rd edition.) If so, look at page 242, top left photo of the Wagner #10. Notice on the underside of the handle, it has the number 9 or number 6 depending on which way you look at it.

Take a look at photo #3 top center right side. Looks look extra sand in the mold.
"buttered over"

I have the 5th edition, still page 242 top left. Looking at the handle it looks like the same. The right lower corner of the shape of the handle, the same flat spot.

So this could be a Wagner copy of the Erie griddle. :icon_thumbsup:

History one layer at a time.

Whoever made it did a fine job on the cooking surface. It's pretty. :icon_thumbsup:

They did not clean out the hole in the handle very good.

I did not keep the Erie, and that was a very nice griddle. So we know that this one is going. The wife just asked why I let the Erie go. She won't give me any more wall space in the kitchen. My bean kettles are in my office, Eye Candy every day.:icon_thumbsup:

Looking in the BB Erie made the griddle 1885. Wagner started in 1892. ???

Back