Back to the well....

Kevin Meares

Two weeks ago, right before I joined this forum, I splurged on six pieces of CI at a high-end thrift store and risked branding myself as part of the problem with inflated pricing, the CI equivalent of what the poker players call "dead money". I am much wiser now :chuckle: Wiser, but needy, for after reading the responses to the "Top 4 users" thread I suddenly feel naked without a nice DO in my stack.

So today I returned to the scene of the crime, and to my surprise I found a fresh table-full of vintage CI with the characteristic retail pricing for unrestored pieces. My heart rate spiked when I saw the exact piece I was looking for: a Griswold slant EPU "9" DO that will go perfectly with the slant "9" EPU skillet I paid $75 for two weeks ago. It might even be from the same litter! It has a $125 price tag that I would gladly pay (after a hard swallow) since it has the nice "Tite-Top" lid and all. I really wanted it! It needs a good cleaning, but otherwise seemed pretty nice--not much crud or rust--but then I saw a 2"+ crack on the side. Damn! I was already welcoming this prize into my happy little family of CI pieces--a glorious focal point to a dazzling duo of cullinary cast iron--but I had to desist and go home empty handed :sad:

Collector value aside, what does a crack like this mean to the use value of the piece? Can I still use it, assuming I can get it for a fraction of the price, and if so, what are the ramifications in doing so?

Thanks.

I would never trust it on anything other than breads and cakes. CI is already very brittle, and it wouldn't take much of a hit to make a cracked one shatter. If it were to fail while you were taking it out of the oven you'd risk getting burned as well as make a huge mess. If it were on the stove top with a lot of hot oil in it, you can add fire hazard to the injury risk and huge mess. Not worth it at any purchase price in my opinion.

Since you're willing to put up serious money for good iron, I'd suggest you buy a new Lodge 5 quart L8DD3 for $33 (has a lid that doubles as a skillet) to solve your immediate Dutch oven needs and then take your sweet old time and see if you can't find something more reasonably priced or at the very least in much better condition.

Kevin
If you are just "Jonesing" for a cast iron fix, offer them the value of the lid only, assuming it is in good condition. Pots are easier to find that the lids.

Check recent Ebay sales for the value.

Good luck.

Jack

Thanks, guys. Looks like the lid is worth about $50 plus shipping, with most falling in the $40-$60 range. There were actually quite a few #9 DO Tite-top EPU lids that sold in the last few months (most weren't slant logos, but some were). I'll go back tomorrow and offer $50 for the DO, or $40 for just the lid. The place is only 5 miles down the road. If she refuses, or doesn't at least cut the price in half, I will suggest that she indicate that the pot is cracked, especially since there are no returns.

Listen to Ty. A crack really nullifies any value the piece might otherwise have. Listen to Jack. Lids are harder to find than pots. Just check out eBay or Etsy and you will know this. Listen to CJ. The sold price is the true value, anyone can ask for any price.

Scott

If you mainly shopping for a user I wouldnt worry about if the logo has a slant or not. Or the name for the most part. Unmarker lodge DO's are plentiful and cheap. And awesome :tongue:

Back