First Griswold; thoughts?

Adam_R.

Hello,

Just went out looking for some new cast iron. At a yard sale, found this Griswold #12. They were asking $150, I gave them $100. Slightly warped but not to bad. Good find? Thoughts on the price I paid? I'm a little nervous I paid to much.

Thanks,

Adam

Attachments

• Erie Front.jpg
    Erie Front.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 52
  • Erie Back.jpg
    Erie Back.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 81
It looks pretty nice in the pictures. It's pretty difficult to find any kind of Griswold 12 for less than $100 in my opinion, let alone a unique pan like yours.

Great find Adam. I agree with Bonnie about the price. You can't even get near a Wagner 12 for under $130. Good deal.

Looks like a nice skillet and you just dont run across them very often. You say its warped, how bad is it? Slight rock side to side or complete spinner? If its just a little rock, you did very well.

On a side note, I used to live with my dad up in York. He is still there, but I moved South 25 years ago.

Very slight rock from side to side, not remotely close to being a spinner. Which will be great because I have an electric flattop and plan on cooking with it. The spinners or further warped pans I found are a pain to cook with on my stove. Guessing more well suited for a gas range.

York's a good little city, your dad's in good company.

Very slight rock from side to side, not remotely close to being a spinner. Which will be great because I have an electric flattop and plan on cooking with it. The spinners or further warped pans I found are a pain to cook with on my stove. Guessing more well suited for a gas range.

York's a good little city, your dad's in good company.

Hard to find a skillet that size that doesn't have a slight rock. Don't worry about what you spent, you did good. Enjoy it!

Sweet find! As Bonnie said, a rare version, and I personally love the older iron. Larger sizes in good condition do tend to go for more. I suspect there weren't as many sold in the larger sizes. Enjoy it!

The holes in that skillet do not look like an accident. I wonder if someone attached an assist handle to it once upon a time. :icon_scratchchin:

Auction says it was an old lady and she had someone attach a handle. They fixed it with rivets. Actually looks pretty good considering.

I would have kept the handle. That is a really big pan to use with no assist handle.

Yeah, I can understand why they did it. It is a heavy pan with a small handle given its size. I'm in the process of seasoning the pan now and it's tough to maneuver.

Back