Bare iron on outside of skillet

DougH

This is one of my users.

http://i.imgur.com/NPy9xs2.jpg

You'll see the roughly circular areas that look to be lighter and possibly down to bare iron. That circular area matches the layout of the burners on my gas stove, so I'm assuming the flames are burning the seasoning layer off. Is that a correct assumption? All my users show this to some degree, this is the worst of them.

If that is the problem, does anyone have suggestions for preventing or minimizing it? Unfortunately, our stove top runs very hot, even on its lowest setting...it's actually really hard to simmer anything because it's so hot. I need to look and see if the cook top itself is adjustable.

I have two thoughts. 1) Make seasoning the whole skillet part of my maintenance routine. 2) Using one of those heat diffuser plates.

I have an old lodge 3 notch that has those marks and they are permanent. I think mine is heat damaged on the bottom and just won't really even take seasoning on the bottom anymore. Its still a good cooker though.

My skillets do the same thing. Honestly, I just don't worry about it. Just an extremely light/thin coating of canola oil/bacon grease after use (whatever happens to stick to the paper towel after wiping out when cleaning after use) and I figure it's good to go.

I have an old lodge 3 notch that has those marks and they are permanent. I think mine is heat damaged on the bottom and just won't really even take seasoning on the bottom anymore. Its still a good cooker though.

Ah, that could be heat damage. The stove top does run very hot. I really should go digging around and see if I can find a way to regulate it...been that way since we installed it a couple years ago, but doesn't seem like the lowest setting should be that high.

Back