Seasoning With Crisbee

I've used Crisbee quite a bit. As far as the actual seasoning goes, I don't think it does a better or worse job than anything else. It seems exactly the same to me as Crisco or other oils I've tried.

The one difference I have noticed is there is a reduction in odor when I put it in the oven to bake on the seasoning.

I've used Crisbee quite a bit. As far as the actual seasoning goes, I don't think it does a better or worse job than anything else. It seems exactly the same to me as Crisco or other oils I've tried.

The one difference I have noticed is there is a reduction in odor when I put it in the oven to bake on the seasoning.

This is a good review. I've used Crisbee for a while now and its nice that it doesn't smell up the house. My seasoning hasn't experienced any flaking or chipping and i've been using it for over a year. It's good stuff.

I just bought some recently to try out. I agree, it doesn't seem to be any better or worse. Could be my imagination, but the pieces feel like a new car after getting a wax job. Smooth and slippery. Is that due to the bees wax? Or my imagination, knowing there is bees wax in there. As for looks, no difference.

I haven't used it yet on a skillet I use. So I'm not sure about how it holds up under cooking conditions.

I think I still prefer Crisco or lard. What can I say? I still put peanuts in my Coke, too.

I'm excited to try their Larbee blend, which is a blend of beeswax and leaf lard. Their normal recipe is a beeswax, soybean oil and palm oil blend. I wonder if there will be any noticeable difference.

I've used it with success and it works. I won't say it is the greatest, but it does work well and easy to apply. I like it for the beeswax content because beeswax naturally won't go rancid like other veg/animal fats. And because I use all of my old iron and my collection is growing, a piece of iron may go days or weeks without being used.

I've used it with success and it works. I won't say it is the greatest, but it does work well and easy to apply. I like it for the beeswax content because beeswax naturally won't go rancid like other veg/animal fats. And because I use all of my old iron and my collection is growing, a piece of iron may go days or weeks without being used.

I'm failing to see the logic here, EdP. I would certainly agree that beeswax doesn't go rancid, but since Crisbee has more than just beeswax in it, what's to stop it from going rancid? Isn't "seasoning," whether it's animal or vegetable fat pretty much just carbon anyway? So what is there to go rancid? And how does the addition of a little beeswax stop it from going rancid?

Last edited:
I'm failing to see the logic here, EdP. I would certainly agree that beeswax doesn't go rancid, but since Crisbee has more than just beeswax in it, what's to stop it from going rancid? "Seasoning," whether it's animal or vegetable fat is pretty much just carbon anyway so what is there to go rancid? And how does the addition of a little beeswax stop it from going rancid?

Agreed. I have CI pieces in my basement that go nearly a year between uses. I've used iron that sat in a barn for years without the need for stripping or reseasoning. Never had anything go rancid.

I'm failing to see the logic here, EdP. I would certainly agree that beeswax doesn't go rancid, but since Crisbee has more than just beeswax in it, what's to stop it from going rancid? Isn't "seasoning," whether it's animal or vegetable fat pretty much just carbon anyway? So what is there to go rancid? And how does the addition of a little beeswax stop it from going rancid?

The logic is beeswax is the main ingredient. And, so far, no experience with rancidity on my Crisbee seasoned iron. I cannot explain it any simpler than that.

Completely polymerized oil shouldn't go rancid. If you bake whatever oil at a high enough temp long enough for it to become completely dry, not tacky or greasy feeling, and don't wipe any oil on for cosmetic effect, there shouldn't be a problem. For long term storage of collectible pans you don't intend to cook with, mineral oil is a good alternative. As to beeswax, since I don't cook with beeswax (who does?), I don't consider it something to season CI with.

The logic is beeswax is the main ingredient. And, so far, no experience with rancidity on my Crisbee seasoned iron. I cannot explain it any simpler than that.

Actually, beeswax is not the main ingredient. There is less beeswax than either soybean or palm oil. Anyway, this is not an indictment of Crisbee nor anyone who uses it. Almost all comments and reviews of it I have seen have been positive as far as using it for seasoning, but I think yours is the first I've seen concerning rancidity so that's why I was asking the questions.

Actually, beeswax is not the main ingredient. There is less beeswax than either soybean or palm oil. Anyway, this is not an indictment of Crisbee nor anyone who uses it. Almost all comments and reviews of it I have seen have been positive as far as using it for seasoning, but I think yours is the first I've seen concerning rancidity so that's why I was asking the questions.

I disagree based on the this thread where someone measured the density in order to calculate the approximate ratio of beeswax and other oils of the product. I created my own version buy using beeswax and canola oil. Worked equally well.

http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3397&page=3

Well, EdP, all I can tell you is that ingredients as listed on a label are listed in the order of most to least. The (original) Crisbee label lists soybean oil, palm oil, and beeswax in that order. Is the label on yours different? I'm not even going to bother going into the chemistry and variables involved in measuring the density of single substances much less mixtures of substances.

Interesting. From what I have gathered Crisbee is Soybean oil, Palm Oil and Beeswax. Crisbee is similar to Crisco. Crisco doesn't have Beeswax that I know of. The smoke point for Crisco is 495 degrees. From the directions on Crisbee it says to heat to 400 degrees. That isn't even close to the smoke point of the oils used. I am relatively knew to reconditioning cast iron. I don't understand why the recommended differences in the processes when the oil's are the same? I am finding there are many different methods for seasoning. Not sure which one is right.

Some people advocate exceeding the smoke point, some do not. Both will polymerize so really it comes down to what works for you. The main site has a recommended technique and that's basically what people use here, but person-to-person there's a lot of variety on specific steps, I've found.

You are correct. Our ingredients are listed largest quantity to smallest quantity. Comparing to a mixture using Crisco will certainly have contrasting densities as we don't use any hydrogenated oils in our products.

Back