Sidney Bean Pot

Great find, the inside looks great from what I can see on this phone screen! From what I’ve heard some of the lids were made of tin which didn’t last. Also they sometimes sold them without a lid. I actually found a camp Dutch Oven lid that fit mine perfect.

I think the official name for these (at least from the early price lists) was 'rimmed pot'... I'm not entirely sure what the 'rim' was for... but that's the part that distinguishes it from a 'regular kettle'.

that one is obviously early... and pretty smooth... also looks like it was probably nickel plated.

Thanks for the comments as they really help a newbie like me. I agree with Jeff about the rim and it's purpose. It seems to make sense. As far as the nickel plating that D_Madden mentioned,
I took a real close look and believe that he is right well.
I have no intention to restore the piece and will just display it as is. Maybe someday I'll come across a lid that fits.

Very nice and I like it. If you’re not interested in using it maybe shoot it with a flat clear coat no gloss. I think the patina of its look now tells the story of its age. If you wanted to use it in the future just strip it and do how do others and use it. or just let it age all the more.

I have brass and bronze things here I don’t touch other than dust no polish to make look new and shiny I love the look that way.

Last edited:
Back