Orr Painter & Co waffle iron

JMoss

I ran across this interesting WI yesterday. It appears to be in good shape but I'm not much of a WI guy. I could not tell how you would flip the mold without risking severe burns. They are asking $65. I have no idea if that is a fair price. If any of you WI guys are interested just PM me and I'll send you the phone number of the shop.

http://imgur.com/a/5YOLM

Doug D
I have no financial interest in this. If this somehow violates the site rules please let me know and delete the post.

Jack

Jack, I put together this gadget to open and close my Issac Sheppard #6. Works great. If they are clean they flip over real easy.

Attachments

• IMG_1442.jpg
    IMG_1442.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1443.jpg
    IMG_1443.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 32
Jack, I put together this gadget to open and close my Issac Sheppard #6. Works great. If they are clean they flip over real easy.

Thank you for posting your gadget John C., as I just picked up a WI that is missing the tool.:icon_thumbsup:

John C
Thank you very much. Now I wish I has taken more pictures. I did not know there was a tool for turning the paddles/mold.

I first saw that WI there about 4 months ago. Apparently there is not a high demand at $65. When I go back by I'll take some more pictures. I want to know if your tool will work on this WI.

Thanks again.

Jack

I bought this piece a couple of months ago thinking it was the missing handle for another old waffle iron I have that the patent info says had a detachable handle. I don't think this one is quite right but I may be able to modify it to make it work.
http://i.imgur.com/pZS6apv.jpg

Jack, As you can see in the photo the tab in my paddles have a hole in them. I think you could make something work. I gave mine a test run before I had the gadget.

Attachments

• 3-IMG_1191.JPG
    3-IMG_1191.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 21
John C
Thank you but I cannot het my head around how in the world you flip that WI. I can see where your tool would open it up but what holds it closed when you flip it?

Jack

You flip by pushing down on the side opposite the hinge. The journals the pins set in don't allow the paddles to separate as they turn in them, so the paddles stay together.

Doug D
Thank you. It is starting to make sense. Since this has a low base I am guessing you had to lift the entire three piece mechanism and use a tool in your other hand to flip the waffles?

Jack

It was designed for a wood stove. With the eye cover off, the rotating paddles dip into the hole without obstruction. No lifting necessary. Later, gas and electric burners caused the need for high bases.

Back