Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cooking In Cast Iron

Notices

Cooking In Cast Iron Discuss Cast Iron Cooking & Recipe Requests

Old 04-14-2017, 07:36 PM

Default Grill Cheese Help !

Ok, I know that a "great grilled cheese sandwich", is one of the reasons many of us got into cast iron. Well, not me. I hadn't even thought about cooking a grilled cheese sandwich, until now, tonight, to be exact. So, this evening, I put a little mayo on two pieces of bread, added some cheddar cheese, put a patty of butter in my (hot) #8 skillet, and let it go till the bread was toasted golden brown (actually a bit more) on both sides. Then to the table it went. Actually, it turned out great, and now, based on my wife's comments, looks as if I may be doing this more often

SO - would some of you mind sharing you "Grilled Cheese" recipes with me ? I'm mainly interested in cook times, temperatures, types of bread & cheeses, etc. Also any special cooking / serving techniques would also be appreciated. Oh, and really, my first (cast iron) attempt, didn't turn out bad at all. Just wondering what everyone else does.......
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2017, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Grill Cheese Help !

Butter the bread before it goes in the skillet. We always have a stick of butter in a covered butter dish out on the counter so it stays soft. Have never put mayo on the inside of a grilled cheese sandwich, but I'd be willing to try it.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:46 PM
Site Admin

The mayo goes on the outside, instead of butter. Works well, actually. Not sure why the need to use both, though.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:59 PM

Yeah, well, never tried mayo on the outside, either. Reckon I'll just stick with butter.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug D. View Post
The mayo goes on the outside, instead of butter. Works well, actually. Not sure why the need to use both, though.
Wow ? I can't imagine putting mayo on the outside of a sandwich either. I suppose that it browns the outside of the bread, just as butter does. Just curious, do you add some butter or oil, to the skillet, when browning the sandwich ?

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------[/SIZE]

Oh well, seems to be lots of variations on this delicious grilled sandwich, all which could be easily adapted to the cast iron skillet. I suppose it will take a while, to get through all of these...:glutton

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/1884/m...eese/?page=2#2
Old 04-15-2017, 10:10 AM

It's a grilled cheese sandwich - how hard can it be?? A 5 year old can do it!
Old 04-15-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Lucas View Post
It's a grilled cheese sandwich - how hard can it be?? A 5 year old can do it!
Just looking ideas
Old 04-15-2017, 10:36 AM
Site Admin

One hopes it's not an unsupervised 5 year old. My assumption was the OP was looking for variations on a theme, as opposed to being labeled incompetent.

Grilled cheese can be as little as a slice of Kraft Singles between two pieces of buttered bread, or it can be somewhat more ambitious.

Mayo has some advantages. It serves the same purpose as butter. It's already soft, which your butter may not be. It easily spreads thinly and evenly. It doesn't taste like mayo afterwards. The egg content gives bit of a French toast-like texture.

No, you don't need to butter the pan.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:48 AM

No problems, and yes, I was just looking for variations, on a long time favorite. You know, new ideas and suggestions. Sorry, but I had never made a grilled cheese in a "cast iron skillet", before yesterday. It came out great, and I thought - I bet this cast iron group might have some really special recipes. So again, just looking for a few new ideas, that some may have come up with. Oh, and I do understand the basics of a grilled cheese sandwich. I have made a million.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:20 PM

I've traditionally used butter but learned the mayo trick this past year. I think it works quite well, worth trying if you haven't.

Of course, the standard white bread and American cheese is the common variety, but mild cheddar is pretty good. 1/2 & 1/2 blend of cheddar and Monterey Jack works and you can sub pepper Jack for some heat. For something really different try a Swiss and Gruyere blend. Another neat variety is to use a smoked cheese.

Sourdough is a tasty upgrade to the plain white bread, especially with some of the more creative cheese choices.

If you want to get really fancy, try throwing in some fresh chives or basil.

But really it depends on your audience. For kids, simple works best, typically.