Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cooking In Cast Iron

Notices

Cooking In Cast Iron Discuss Cast Iron Cooking & Recipe Requests

Old 06-02-2016, 06:04 PM
Site Admin

Default Re: Cooking In Enamel Cast Iron

I have several ECI dutch ovens of various shapes and sizes. But I'm not really sure why ECI skillets exist. With scrambled eggs or an omelet, you want a higher heat starting out to "set" the eggs, but then you need to be able to lower the heat quickly so you can finish them without overcooking, something the average CI skillet doesn't do well at all. With eggs, "Done in the pan, overdone on the plate." With the possible exception of sunny side up, I don't necessarily see cast iron as the best tool for the purpose with eggs.

The other thing to think about is enamel is non-reactive, but it's not necessarily non-stick. And we don't season it, we scrub it clean every time. I think if you want success with eggs in your ECI skillet, you need to use a generous amount of butter.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2016, 07:29 PM

Thanks Doug/Hilditch.....Still going to hold off on eggs in a ECI for now. Just have one additional question. As you know...I recently posted a thread regarding a BSR 8 sectional cornbread skillet. It has arrived and that was one reason I tried cooking in ECI to start with. I am wondering if I should use my same procedures for making cornbread (pre-heat & temp) or change that procedure because it's ECI?
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:51 PM
Site Admin

Your ECI 8CBS might have to be treated more like a baking pan and be greased beforehand. Of course, that's not something done to a preheated pan. If you proceed as you normally would with a bare CI version, you'll just have to see if the oil in the batter is enough to get both crispy and a good release.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:48 PM

For cornbread in any skillet one should grease it, pre-heat it to almost smoking and then add the batter. There needs to be enough grease for the batter to sizzle when added. Then, do not remove the pan from the oven or heat until you can see a space between the cornbread & the skillet which means the cornbread has been released. If there is not enough grease in the skillet or the batter it may not let go and may stick there for ever and ever.

The higher heat Doug mentioned for eggs is true but remember your skillet will get to about 400į on low given enough time which is too hot to cook eggs. The eggs will calm that down. Another important success idea is to use warm eggs as they set faster. If they are not room temp put them in a bowl of warm water when you turn the stove on to preheat the skillet and they will warm up together.

Hilditch
Old 06-03-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Hilditch View Post
Guys, if you are interested in learning how to cook eggs in an enameled skillet, read on. One morning put your skillet in the car and go to the Waffle House. Sit at the counter where you can see what the cook is doing but within talking range. Order coffee and just watch for a cup or two. When he gets a chance to breath tell him you are there to learn how to cook eggs & what you are having a problem with. Ask for advice. This will be the first time in weeks he has heard anything but complaints. Offer to show him the skillet and away you go. You need help and he will try to help you.

Please donít brag about how good you are with your other skillets as you are there to learn.

Hilditch
Having lived in SC for nearly 60 years, I've been in more than one or two Waffle Houses. I've never seen a piece of enameled CI in a WH and have never seen a WH cook use a piece of enameled CI for anything. I have seen them use a small CI skillet for making scrambled eggs with cheese, but it wasn't enameled. For "normal" fried eggs (sunny side up, over easy, over medium, etc.), they use an aluminum skillet. Most WH cooks do eggs pretty well, but the truth is some of them suck at it. What I'm saying is, if you're gonna ask a WH cook for advice on cooking eggs, try his eggs first since the coffee always seems to be good.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:31 PM

Kevin, I've never seen them use an enameled skillet either. However, a bare aluminum skillet and an enameled surface have very similar cooking characteristics which require the same techniques to avoid sticking. Especially the ones right out of the dishwasher.

I'd like to eat the eggs cooked in my skillet, not his. i recommended watching first for a reason.

Hilditch
Old 06-04-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Kevin, I've never seen them use an enameled skillet either. However, a bare aluminum skillet and an enameled surface have very similar cooking characteristics which require the same techniques to avoid sticking.
Hilditch
That seems like an important bit of information that you didn't mention until now. I have zero experience cooking in enameled cast iron, very limited experience in cooking in enameled steel, and most of the things I cook in aluminum consist of deep fried turkey, steamed/boiled seafood, boiled peanuts, soups, veggies, etc. So what are these similar cooking characteristics? Maybe you could put them in a list? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:38 PM

To understand the techniques and similarities involved, some experience is essential. First one learns how to get the food to stick to various surfaces (which I have done very well) and then how to keep it from sticking. I decided it would be helpful to hear the second half from a cook at the Waffle House who pulls it off more times in a week than we could in a year. Surface descriptions, heat control, timing, lubrication, food temperature and technique canít be put in a fits all list.

Hilditch
Old 06-04-2016, 03:56 PM

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
To understand the techniques and similarities involved, some experience is essential. First one learns how to get the food to stick to various surfaces (which I have done very well) and then how to keep it from sticking
Hilditch
I agree with this comment 1000%.. i just stripped cleaned and seasoned a WW Sidney -0- #5 skillet. The first thing i cooked in it was eggs. the middle stuck a little. Knowing that, I used it again this morning for perfect no stick eggs.

Knowing how and when something will stick is very easy to avoid when you have previous practical knowledge.