newbie here and wondering if this anything to consider

DMoore

found this the other day and found info on this site about the possible age and was wondering if the $45 price was reasonable or not. I do not see any cracks and there is a little pitting on the inside and little rust on the bottom. when looking for comparable items I do not see alot of pots out there like this one I mostly see skillets. thanks

Attachments

• wagner1.JPG
    wagner1.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 108
  • wagner2.JPG
    wagner2.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 93
I think it's a nice piece for that price. What size is it? I can tell you what the Blue book value is if I know the size.

Looks like a stove pot ....don't see many of those around my part of the country ...i don't think you would be hurt at that price

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Looks like a 5 quart

Looks like a stove pot ....don't see many of those around my part of the country ...i don't think you would be hurt at that price

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Looks like a 5 quart

That's a Wagner flat bottom kettle. Is that a 6 I see at 6 o'clock on the bottom?

ok I went and bought it. The more i thought about the more I was afraid that it will sell lol. The number on bottom is an 8 and it measures 6 3/4 inches tall and about 10 inch in diameter.

The red book value for an 8 is 40-60$ but those prices are outdated. I think you got a good deal. Please post pictures after you clean it up.

Don't know what area you're in, but around here that is a very good price.
As may Grandpa would say..."Boy, ya done real good!":icon_thumbsup:

Great pick! I must warn you about the "Someone else might buy it" syndrome, it can be wrong at times so think first :D I think we all suffer from it.

Scott

thanks for the replies. I wonder what the chances are of finding a lid that will fit this. Not that worried about original but function. I plan on cleaning it up and using camping so a lid will be helpful. Also the diameter is right under 10 inchs.

An 8 under 10"? I was going to tell you to look for a C-8 glass lid but now??? Maybe a #7 CI lid would fit. You might take it to a local Goodwill and test fit lids, you might even find one you like.

Scott

thanks for the replies. I wonder what the chances are of finding a lid that will fit this. Not that worried about original but function. I plan on cleaning it up and using camping so a lid will be helpful. Also the diameter is right under 10 inchs.

A Griswold flat bottom kettle lid might fit, but you'd be lucky to find one for less than $100. You might just have to try different orphan lids on it. A #8 Vollrath DO lid works well on my #9 Wapak FBK, but it's much looser on my #9 Gris Erie FBK. I have an "Erie" #8 footed kettle that came with a BSR skillet lid marked 10-5/8 that fits it like a Tite-Top. I can't say for sure because I don't have my "Erie" here with me, but I think the ID is the same as their FBK so a similar BSR lid might work well for you (if Gris & Wagner ID's are the same) & they're not as co$tly as a Gris lid.
When I can retrieve it from my remote camp after the Spring thaw, I'm going to have the pour spout tabs milled off that lid as they interfere with the bail handle unless lid is turned to one side. However, if I didn't have access to a no-cost machinist, I wouldn't even bother with that. HTH

If Chinese iron does not bother you, Cabellas sells an assortment of lids. If you bring your piece in, you may find a fit.

Back