What's Your Best Guess...

I gambled on a #5 today covered in crud. It's soaking in lye so I can't get a picture just yet but am stumped as to who made it and wondering if any of you can help until the lye does its magic. Here are all the parameters: Large spouts, no identifiable marking on top of handle, "teardrop handle" where the raised ridge ends before the pan starts with a small triangular section, inset unbroken heat ring, no legible marking on the bottom other than a raised "B" molders mark at 6 oclock (It's pretty cruddy so there could be some writing at the 12 and six, but I don't think there is anything in the center.

Of course, I immediately ruled out BSR due to the ridge stopping short. The shape of the handle reminds me of Griswold or Wagner, but I've never seen any Wagner or Gris product that didn't have the number on the top of the handle. No notch Lodge seems like a reasonable guess, but the ridged handle doesn't look anything like any of my other Arc, one, or three-notch Lodge products.

I'll know for sure in a few days, but until then, I'd welcome any guesses from you!

Well rats...

when all the crud cleared it turned out to be a one notch #5. There was so much crud I couldn't see the top notch. I was hoping for an arc-logo but oh, well it's still a great deal for what I paid for it. As I was walking around the flea market yesterday I realized that if I took all the time I spent looking for and cleaning the iron I have, then the ebay prices probably seem like a bargain by comparison, but to me, the thrill of the hunt and seeing what comes out from the gunk are my favorite parts of this hobby. (outside of the eating, of course!)

Re: Well rats...

when all the crud cleared it turned out to be a one notch #5. There was so much crud I couldn't see the top notch. I was hoping for an arc-logo but oh, well it's still a great deal for what I paid for it. As I was walking around the flea market yesterday I realized that if I took all the time I spent looking for and cleaning the iron I have, then the ebay prices probably seem like a bargain by comparison, but to me, the thrill of the hunt and seeing what comes out from the gunk are my favorite parts of this hobby. (outside of the eating, of course!)

I found one the same as yours. It looked to be an Arc lodge but was a #5 one notch also. I also have a #3 3-notch that looked like an Arc. I'm not sure how the crud built up in the bottom to completely fill in only the notches. They are both great finds as the #3 was only $5 and the #5 was $8.

Actually this is my second Lodge that was revealed from the Lye bath. The first was a #3 three notch that was crusted up just as you describe. I could see a heat ring, but all three notches were filled with crud until the Lye. The only difference was, I knew the 3 was new(er) because of the small spouts and therefore didn't have any great hopes for it being something really special. I see what you mean Doug D, about Lodge handles being all over the place. I don't know if I have two that look the same of the six or so that I own.

Back