Need Help with Identification

Niko_D

Hey there!

I'm pretty new to the world of cast iron cookware (got my first Lodge 10.25" skillet only last year), but last week I finally couldn't resist any longer and tried my luck in an auction for an old cast iron skillet on eBay; turns out I was the only bidder for $5 + shipping...

From what I've read here and here, I think that the pan I bought is a "Birmingham Stove & Range".

Is my guess correct? If so, how old exactly do you think my new/old pan is?

Btw. I don't plan to resell the pan, I just want to add it to my small collection of carbon steel & iron cookware, and just use it. After having it cleaned up and reseasoned, of course. :)

Thanks in advance for your help!

1950s to mid-1960s, based on the small pour spouts (an indication of automated molding) but the lack of "No. 7" style inscription which dates to around 1966.

You will come to love that skillet. I have a #7&8 I use often, the #7 size is a good size for the boxed cornbread

Does anyone have a picture showing both a small spout and large spout BSR skillet? I see the reference a lot, and can always tell when someone identifies one, but when I look at my own I always second guess, I'd like to see both side by side if possible

You will come to love that skillet. I have a #7&8 I use often, the #7 size is a good size for the boxed cornbread
Thank you, I am sure I will. :)

I already own two smooth-surface carbon steel pans, and I love cooking in them:

Does anyone have a picture showing both a small spout and large spout BSR skillet? I see the reference a lot, and can always tell when someone identifies one, but when I look at my own I always second guess, I'd like to see both side by side if possible

From what I could find on eBay, this one is sold as a BSR #3 from the 1930's, and it has large sprouts:

ImageImage

While this one here is also sold as BSR #3 (from the 1950's), but it has small sprouts:

ImageImage

I'm clearly not an expert on this, but if I had to guess, I'd say that compared with the pictures of the small sprout #3 and #7, and the large sprout #3, that your skillet's sprouts look like large sprouts to me.

The small sprouts on the #7 and #3 seem to me to have the same (really small) size, while the large sprouts on the other #3 look larger than those on your #5's to me, yet the sprouts on the #5's still look way larger than the ones on the other #3 and my #7.

I hope my ramblings are making any sense here? :icon_scratchchin:

Since I'm still very new to this it's only guesswork on my part, of course. :D

Your thoughts are exactly the same as mine, I never can tell because exactly as you said, the 3, and 7 look small, so it makes my 5's look like large spouts, but not so when compared to the other number 3, this is where I get lost as well :confused:

Back