Gate-Marked Fancy Handle #8

I tried to zoom in but still couldn't see the details... does the center circle have the other text and number like this one? I think there is some question about whether or not all of these were made by griswold... someone thought that old Alfred shopped his business around to other foundries... there are some subtle differences but I don't remember exactly what they are.

https://imgur.com/gallery/NLukzAZ

I got this one back in march, but have not yet been brave enough to try my first batch in it.

Your Krum cake pan is in the Griswold section on p159 in the red book.

Andresen may have contracted with different foundries for some items, but there are about a dozen other Griswold waffle/wafer/pancake makers and bases with four digit pattern numbers that start with 24__. It is unlikely that Andresen contracted a different foundry who then appropriated Griswold’s pattern numbering conventions for no reason.

So if it was in my kitchen, I’d call it Griswold-made.

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

PS, I learned the hard way that krum kake irons require a shockingly small amount of batter to make wafers on an electric stove without making a big mess and starting a small fire.

Here are some further details. I assumed it was Griswold made as well. What are the tells that’s not?

https://imgur.com/gallery/YfpTVxl

D_Madden, can you post a pic of your base? My handle is broke off.

I was trying to remember stuff I had read on the facebook group for 'cast iron waffles, pizzelles, krumkakes and novelties'... Tom Neitzel and Farold Hoover have had some discussions about some of the western importing/alfred andresen marked items... but it might be easier to join the group and search for the info (there's a lot). Tom has identified 3 different versions of these that are marked as andresen and western importing, but have variations in markings and some are actually even a little smaller than the others... the smaller ones don't quite fit correctly in a normal #8 griswold base and according to one comment he made only certain pattern letters of griswold bases are correct for western importing paddles...

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

apparently some of the griswold #975 #8 bases are also marked 'W I Co' down near the pattern number... for western importing company... and those are considered to be 'correct' for the andresen paddles.

Back