Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-14-2020, 09:41 PM
David Luckie David Luckie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 8
Default 1950 Vollrath Catalog

I found this link while researching the history of various foundries and manufacturers that were involved in the U.S. WWII industrial mobilization. I forgot about it until a Vollrath pan crossed my path on Feebay recently.

Other research notes from that history project indicate that from 1941 through just beyond the end of the war, Vollrath was devoted almost exclusively to producing metalware for the Army and Navy.

For our hobby's purposes, the domestic production of cast iron goods can be divided into the pre-war and post-war periods. This catalog would have been designed and produced by 1949, making it one of the earliest of the post-war period.

1950 Vollrath Catalog 75R

Edit to add that the catalog states that the cast iron ware was preseasoned and ready to use.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 07-16-2020, 07:21 AM
Ty L. Ty L. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 445
Default Re: 1950 Vollrath Catalog

It's rare to see catalogs uploaded like that, and sometimes that's all we have to go on when trying to approximate when something was made. Nice find!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-17-2020, 10:33 AM
C.R. Jacobson C.R. Jacobson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 27
Default Re: 1950 Vollrath Catalog

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Luckie View Post
I found this link while researching the history of various foundries and manufacturers that were involved in the U.S. WWII industrial mobilization. I forgot about it until a Vollrath pan crossed my path on Feebay recently.

Other research notes from that history project indicate that from 1941 through just beyond the end of the war, Vollrath was devoted almost exclusively to producing metalware for the Army and Navy.

For our hobby's purposes, the domestic production of cast iron goods can be divided into the pre-war and post-war periods. This catalog would have been designed and produced by 1949, making it one of the earliest of the post-war period.

1950 Vollrath Catalog 75R

Edit to add that the catalog states that the cast iron ware was preseasoned and ready to use.
This catalog is great. Thanks for posting. I didn't realize in our telephone discussion yesterday that you had uploaded the catalog you spoke about. I am still anxious to hear if you have a fully marked #6 . Thanks for posting
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-17-2020, 07:05 PM
David Luckie David Luckie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 8
Default Re: 1950 Vollrath Catalog

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.R. Jacobson View Post
This catalog is great. Thanks for posting. I didn't realize in our telephone discussion yesterday that you had uploaded the catalog you spoke about. I am still anxious to hear if you have a fully marked #6 . Thanks for posting
Well, I had no phone conversations with guys yesterday, and I'm pretty sure we ain't married.

Vollrath has a fascinating history and their cookware was pretty cool, too. I have a 5-gal Stainless Steel pot made by Vollrath that is built like a tank.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-18-2020, 04:17 PM
C.R. Jacobson C.R. Jacobson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 27
Default Re: 1950 Vollrath Catalog

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Luckie View Post
Well, I had no phone conversations with guys yesterday, and I'm pretty sure we ain't married.

Vollrath has a fascinating history and their cookware was pretty cool, too. I have a 5-gal Stainless Steel pot made by Vollrath that is built like a tank.
Apologies to you, .I talked with a fellow yesterday who called me in response to a local Craigslist ad that I ran looking for iron. He had a Vollrath catalog he was telling me about and he had just recently joined this site , not knowing his name I put 2 and 2 together and got six!!! I have since verified his name and he ain't you. Sorry for the presumption, but I still need a # six Vollrath skillet.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Advertisement

This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program,
an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn
advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com or its affiliates.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.