Why will this NOT come clean?

JenniferM

I've soaked (sprayed) this old CI 'bowl' with HDOC at least 4 times now for several days at a time, scrubbing in between turns, and the black stuff (which kind of feels powdery when dry) will not come off ... I cannot get it to bare metal. Tried also scrubbing with SOS pads, soaked for 30 mins with diluted vinegar ... no dice.

Is it possible this is not cast iron? It's magnetic & heavy, but in all honesty, I don't know my metals all that well (except gold & platinum jewelry :tongue:) so not sure if it could be anything else. The greenish tint in the pics is not as obvious in person, so not sure if that is just a result of the mixed lighting in my kitchen or not.

Any ideas? Other suggestions, tests, etc? Thanks so much in advance! I wanted this bowl for making bread & serving rolls in, so would really like to get it cleaned, seasoned and put to use!

20150413_103313.jpg

20150413_103329.jpg

20150413_103346.jpg

20150413_103410.jpg

I don't have an e-tank. Honestly, I don't do well with electricity of any kind (already been zapped a few times). So I rely on the HDOC method to strip CI. Just can't understand why it's not taking this stuff off. I've had pieces FAR worse than this with so many layers of gunk get down to the metal in two, three tops, soakings and a little elbow grease. This has some areas of metal showing through and others with that black stuff still on it and it's not getting anywhere! The black stuff is almost like soot. :confused:

Lye only works on crud that still has some grease left in it. Once reduced to carbon, it either has to come off manually or by electrolysis. And sometimes electro even has a tough time budging it.

The crud is reduced from grease and carbon to just carbon, essentially. Think of those pieces that look like they were never taken off the stove and cleaned.

The brillo pad is to wimpy for that stuff. I think you need to get one of those metal scrubbers and a little wire brush. I only use the brillos after I scrub with something stronger.

Thanks Bonnie! I will look for them at my local stores. I remember back in my teen restaurant days, we used those under a brick sorta thing to clean the steel grill.

With this "pot", after another try with more HDOC and some vinegar followed with more scrubbing, I have resolved that I have gotten it as clean as I can get it for now, and have it in my oven for a round of Crisco seasoning. I plan to just use it for serving dinner rolls (with a bread cloth around the bread) and such ... I would hope - after 6 rounds of HDOC, vinegar and a TON of elbow grease - it is okay.

I actually kinda like the patina that is left ... kinda spotty black with the silvery iron. Will snap some pics when it's done. I love the old, rustic feel of this bowl.

Hi, I'm new on here. If you can't find the Flexi Scour try the hardware store. they have copper pipe screen cleaner that should be the same.

Back