Cooking utensils for your cast iron

Jeffrey R.

All right this is just a little about cast iron, but mostly about some very fine Old World inspired, handcrafted, made in the USA wooden kitchenware. We just received an order of 12 different pieces. Let me tell you as a wood worked myself, the feel and style of our new wooden utensils screams quality. It is nice to have some handcrafted tools to go with my Griswold cookware. :icon_thumbsup:

Here is a link to their web site, if you like to see some wooden eye candy, or order some to go with your cast iron.

http://www.poldersoldworldmarket.com/

Here are a few of our new utensils. 3 photos to the right;

https://picasaweb.google.com/114772661409714296598/JeffreyR#6129875445115719730

Full disclosure. I have no interest in the company. The skillet is my Griswold Slant Logo #9. The tomato is going in a salad tonight. and the egg is glass.

Ooooh, pretty. Thanks for posting this. My current set is not so great and I was just thinking about replacing them not too long ago. You tempt me :)

Those are really beautiful Jeffrey! I agree they are a bit pricey but they do appear to be very nice quality. I would be curious to see how they wear over time.

Upon further inspection, mine are actually bamboo.

Can these go in the dishwasher? I toss mine in there (on the top rack) out of sheer laziness since I focus post-meal clean-up on caring for the CI. :p

Upon further inspection, mine are actually bamboo.

Can these go in the dishwasher? I toss mine in there (on the top rack) out of sheer laziness since I focus post-meal clean-up on caring for the CI. :p

At least you can replace your bamboo at Walmart, dime a dozen.:icon_rofl:

NO dishwasher for real wood. :eek:

I don't limit myself to wooden utensils for my CI.

I have some, but I have no problem using metal spatulas or a metal stirring spoons.

I don't limit myself to wooden utensils for my CI.

I have some, but I have no problem using metal spatulas or a metal stirring spoons.

This is not about using or not using metal utensils, only a nice made in the USA and handmade option. I just do not care for bamboo.

I have 2 vintage metal spatulas, that I use also.

How many times has anyone broken the yoke of the egg with a metal spatula in your cast iron? I came across a #5 skillet one time that had way to many little nicks on the cooking surface as if someone had done that.

Sunny side up here, thank you.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Just razzing you... :whip2: :tongue:

I here that your mother is looking for some new kitchen tools. Remember that the woman's kitchen needs beautiful tools just like your shop, garage, tool room, man cave. You get the point. :mrgreen:

Never. My eggs are either scrambled, or over easy. Never use the spatula on eggs. Flip them with the wrist, and slide them right out onto the plate.

Spatulas are used to flip pancakes, or hamburgers, something that might splatter or break apart under the stress of a wrist flip.

I don't care for wooden cooking utensils unless they are very well sealed/oiled. Too much food absorbed into the wood in most cases.

This is not about using or not using metal utensils, only a nice made in the USA and handmade option. I just do not care for bamboo.

I have 2 vintage metal spatulas, that I use also.

How many times has anyone broken the yoke of the egg with a metal spatula in your cast iron? I came across a #5 skillet one time that had way to many little nicks on the cooking surface as if someone had done that.

Sunny side up here, thank you.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

I here that your mother is looking for some new kitchen tools. Remember that the woman's kitchen needs beautiful tools just like your shop, garage, tool room, man cave. You get the point. :mrgreen:

I don't care for wooden cooking utensils unless they are very well sealed/oiled. Too much food absorbed into the wood in most cases.

Any Quality tool needs to be cared for, if you want it to last. Yes, you need to oil your wooden utensils, bowels, and cutting boards like your cast iron.

Hopefully, my bowels won't need oiling, but I use mineral oil on my cutting board. Food safe and doesn't go rancid.

Hopefully, my bowels won't need oiling, but I use mineral oil on my cutting board. Food safe and doesn't go rancid.

Friday night Boy, did I go off the cast iron topic, should be wooden BOWLS. Best to leave this one alone.:icon_scratchchin:

Mineral oil has some benefits, but it is a petroleum by-product and is known to contain carcinogens. We do not use mineral oil in our kitchen utensils. It does have its place, just not for items that you cook and eat with.:icon_thumbsup:

Mineral oil has some benefits, but it is a petroleum by-product and is known to contain carcinogens. We do not use mineral oil in our kitchen utensils. It does have its place, just not for items that you cook and eat with.

While lesser refined grades of mineral oil can contain carcinogens, I cannot find any data to support that highly refined food grade mineral oil is carcinogenic. I sincerely doubt that the FDA (which regulates it) would allow it to be sold in every pharmacy and grocery store in the country if it were.

While lesser refined grades of mineral oil can contain carcinogens, I cannot find any data to support that highly refined food grade mineral oil is carcinogenic. I sincerely doubt that the FDA (which regulates it) would allow it to be sold in every pharmacy and grocery store in the country if it were.

Yes, If I remember they banned red M&Ms due to the red dyes, joke.
And now you need to look of for the wines with arsenic, does it ever end.
Canola Oil is made from the oil of rape seeds. Pure rape seed oil contains toxins and canola oil is a processed version that has had the toxins removed. Can we trust the Deep Pockets?

Think for one minute. 75 years ago this country had less people with cancer, not talking from smoking. Look at the issue today. If there is a healthier choice, why not take it. Looks like you cannot trust the deep pockets of all our food product companies. The FDA has looked the other way, and also has not always made the right choice for us.

Ever hear of Bovine Growth Hormone? That was what they injected in cows to produce milk, more milk = $$ = Deep Pockets = not very healthy.

And yes we eat farm raised meat.

I have not seen or heard of Pure Beeswax, and pure Olive oil being bad for you. Also they do not become rancid under normal care.

Or one could just say that what I do not know, will not heart me.

I like Organic, and farm raised, but that is just me.

Back